2013 Knife Making Progress

Another thing I forgot to add is that I got an email today about my maker's mark. I am pretty excited about it. I couldn't figure out how to copy the image from a PDF file so I took a picture of it to post here. It is a big step in my eyes...

It was between this one...
2013Progress006_zpsce0a53b9.jpg

Or this one...
2013Progress007_zps7c75f077.jpg

After holding them up to one of my knives, I decided on the first one. It looked cleaner having the straight bottom.

So I get my etcher at the end of this week and my stencils hopefully next week. Now I just need to start a grinder build :biggrin:...

Hey Steven, that is a really good start to the knife build. I'm not sure what you were going for when you tilted the work rest on your grinder...I normally take it off when doing blade grinding. It just gets in the way. As for the makers mark, I like the bottom one, but that's just me.

I was grinding an initial bevel in. It is my understanding that it helps your belt from losing all the grit from the sharp 90* angle on the steel when you go to grind in the bevels. Before, when I wouldn't do this, the belt would grab the knife violently until that 90* was ground off. It is something I have seen quite a few people do, which is where I got the idea from.

I do take the rest off when grinding.

The maker's mark was a tough choice Eric. I almost picked the second one but the first looked a little better on a knife to me. The second one was actually what I initially wanted but they threw the first one in there for comparison. Made it tough to choose.

I hope this one turns out better than the first one.

Thanks Eric!

Last edited:
Steven, I liked the first one too.

I also just got a makers mark designed, I should have it by next week. I almost put Maker in my design as well, but decided not to. I figured that was sorta implied with the mark lol.

here is mine.

Arthur Ricky 21113.JPG

Yea, it should be implied :biggrin:.

There is just something about having the "maker" in there that I like. I guess it makes me feel special or something.

I like yours a lot. Who did you go through, if you don't mind me asking?

I got off work early today and found a package at my front door. My new platens finally showed up and I was eager to try them out. First off, like everything else on this machine, they were made poorly. I was expecting that, so no big deal. I picked the best one and covered the front and sides with graphite paper. Made sure it had good adhesion and put it back on the grinder...

2013Progress001_zpsf4e26168.jpg

2013Progress002_zps77553b7d.jpg

I wanted to test it out before putting the Kephart on it. I still had one of the small backpackers that hadn't been ground on so I did a little test run. I felt more control than ever before. The lines came out pretty clean and where I wanted them, for the most part. The 220 belt wasn't leaving speed bumps as bad as before and it was easier to keep the bevels all even.

2013Progress003_zpsd718e05e.jpg

2013Progress004_zpsf0da7e76.jpg

I am getting excited again :biggrin:...

Kephart WIP Part 4

Next up on the Kephart for today was to grind in the bevels. Bigger knives are definitely a little harder to grind than smaller ones. I found that the graphite paper gets pressed in on the sides and leaves a hump running down the platen in the middle. Not sure if it was like this on the smaller knife and just didn't notice it or I can only get one good use out of the graphite before replacing. It was also hard to get in the area where the plunge meets the blade. So I slapped on the other platen with the ceramic plate, fixed the problem and cleaned it up back on the graphite. It does make it easier to keep a cleaner grind...

KephartWIP001_zps06c961e0.jpg

Pretty even on both sides...
KephartWIP002_zps20a86d66.jpg

Time to get cramped fingers and do some hand sanding. I use a paper cutter instead of scissors to cut my sandpaper into 1 3/4" wide strips...
KephartWIP004_zpsd1925f19.jpg

Next I got everything ready to start. This blade is too big to use the vise that I usually use. So, I use a big vise grip...
KephartWIP005_zps3804aefd.jpg

Clamped in and ready to go...
KephartWIP006_zps56729d55.jpg

Support screws to hold up the tip...
KephartWIP007_zpsce92185b.jpg

220 grit sandpaper wrapped around my sanding tool, spray some WD 40 and start sanding. After sanding back and forth along the blade, I end it with a few swipes going into the plunge and flipping the paper up and out...
KephartWIP009_zps81f5edbc.jpg

I seem to always have one scratch on every knife in this exact same spot. I will now file the plunge a little shallower to fix this on future knives...
KephartWIP011_zpsd91100da.jpg

One side cleaned up...
KephartWIP012_zpsf1fda2e8.jpg

KephartWIP014_zps518da23f.jpg

KephartWIP015_zpscde46bd1.jpg

I will get the other side done in the morning and get her all washed up and ready for heat treat packaging.

I am happy because I achieved the 3/4 high grind I was going for. This one looks better than the other one so far.

Thanks for looking!

I honestly don't know how you grind anything with that rough platen. Whatever you are using to try to help looks like it would make things worse. I would try glueing a piece of safety glass (the kind that shatters into safe peices if it breaks) onto that platen. Thats what Mine has on it.

Nice thread Steve. Not sure how I've missed it till this morning, but spent the last 2 hours reading since I found it (wow, how time flies when you're on a forum!) I see you're having the same problem with the plunge lines as I'm having. I also have a 2x42 and have cranked out 50 or so knives and I think I've finally figured out what I'm doing that keeps getting the top of my plunge lines off. I like a nice curve to the top of my plunges. But on my weak size, they come out nearly 90 degrees. I've tried a lot of different things but recently I discovered it's all about the pressure. Or I should say, how/where your hand holding the tang is putting the pressure.

I also watch the sparks coming off the blade to make sure I'm keeping the blade flat against the platen. This will help tremendously.

What I found out was that when I was grinding with my strong hand, I was putting pressure up and on the edge (I grind edge up). When I changed hands to my weak side, I put pressure down and toward the spine. I also ran my belt just off the edge on my strong side, maybe 1/16 or so. This combined with less pressure at the top of the plunge made nice flowing curves.

When I switch to my weak side, I have to remember to track my belt to the left just past the platen a little like I do on the other side. I then watch my spark pattern and force myself to put more pressure toward the edge rather than the spine. It still amazes me how much difference that makes!

Another thing I caught myself doing early on when using my weak (left) hand was using my right hand to apply pressure rather than guide the blade. Once I changed that bad habit, my grinds became better.

I use Norton Blaze belts in 60, 80 and 120 to rough out and start the grinding of my knives. I then switch to Trizact belts in a A300, A100, A45 and sometimes down to an A30. These belts give a nice smooth finish. I also use a fine and extra fine Scotchbrite belt in a 1x42 size which leaves a very glass like finish. (I use the 1x42 because I could not find any 2x42 in the Scotchbrites). I get all my belts at Trugrit.com.

I honestly don't know how you grind anything with that rough platen. Whatever you are using to try to help looks like it would make things worse. I would try glueing a piece of safety glass (the kind that shatters into safe peices if it breaks) onto that platen. Thats what Mine has on it.

It is actually very smooth. I have a ceramic plate on another platen that is a little crooked from when I glued it on. I am trying different things to see what will work, and the graphite does seem to have its place in the final few passes on the grinder (it allows me to use 220 grit and 320 grit belts with better results). With the ceramic plate, I have a hard time keeping the blade even across each side and keeping the top of the plunge the same shape on both sides. The graphite seemed to help a bit.

I got the idea from Weldon Whitley's video. He uses a canvas backed graphite strip on his platen. The problem I have found with it is that it does not stay flat at all.

My next step is to order another ceramic plate and attach it straight this time to see if that helps any.

Thanks for the tips Ricky!

Nice thread Steve. Not sure how I've missed it till this morning, but spent the last 2 hours reading since I found it (wow, how time flies when you're on a forum!) I see you're having the same problem with the plunge lines as I'm having. I also have a 2x42 and have cranked out 50 or so knives and I think I've finally figured out what I'm doing that keeps getting the top of my plunge lines off. I like a nice curve to the top of my plunges. But on my weak size, they come out nearly 90 degrees. I've tried a lot of different things but recently I discovered it's all about the pressure. Or I should say, how/where your hand holding the tang is putting the pressure.

I also watch the sparks coming off the blade to make sure I'm keeping the blade flat against the platen. This will help tremendously.

What I found out was that when I was grinding with my strong hand, I was putting pressure up and on the edge (I grind edge up). When I changed hands to my weak side, I put pressure down and toward the spine. I also ran my belt just off the edge on my strong side, maybe 1/16 or so. This combined with less pressure at the top of the plunge made nice flowing curves.

When I switch to my weak side, I have to remember to track my belt to the left just past the platen a little like I do on the other side. I then watch my spark pattern and force myself to put more pressure toward the edge rather than the spine. It still amazes me how much difference that makes!

Another thing I caught myself doing early on when using my weak (left) hand was using my right hand to apply pressure rather than guide the blade. Once I changed that bad habit, my grinds became better.

I use Norton Blaze belts in 60, 80 and 120 to rough out and start the grinding of my knives. I then switch to Trizact belts in a A300, A100, A45 and sometimes down to an A30. These belts give a nice smooth finish. I also use a fine and extra fine Scotchbrite belt in a 1x42 size which leaves a very glass like finish. (I use the 1x42 because I could not find any 2x42 in the Scotchbrites). I get all my belts at Trugrit.com.

Don,

I think you just saved me. I have the exact same problem with my weak (left) hand. Well, it is a little worse than just uneven plunge lines.

I have been experimenting with different ways holding the tang, different pressure in different spots, and where I keep my eyes at. Needless to say, I am still searching for that right combination. You have now given me another combination to try!

I have been having a big problem with not being able to keep the blade at the same thickness along the cutting edge (which is contributing to my other problems); the tip stays thick, the belly gets super thin and the area right at the plunge stays thick. This is obviously a pressure problem and I also suspect that as I drag the blade across the belt, it doesn't stay flush against the belt. I think I try to put too much pressure on the blade and end up "rocking" it back and forth during the process of dragging it across the belt.

Another thing I do is what you mentioned about the support / guide hand. So, my understanding is that you only use this hand for a guide and do not apply pressure with it. Say you are holding the tang in your left hand, your right hand should only be there to guide and not apply pressure? You put all of the pressure on the blade using the hand with the tang in it? This could be my main problem. I have been using the hand that holds the tang to guide and the other to put pressure on the blade.

Hmmm. I have a lot to think about now. Do you have anything attached to your platen or are you using it like how it came with the machine?.

I do hang the belt off the side of the platen but something weird happens that really screws up my plunge. On the right side, the belt does not "give" any and slices into the plunge giving it a 90* angle instead of a nice smooth curve. The belt just moves with the knife until you reach the platen. It does not roll up into the plunge. On the other side, the belt seems to be more forgiving and actually slides into the plunge pretty good. So one side has a 90* angle for the plunge and the other side has a nice looking curve to it. Does your machine have this problem? I tried tightening the tension so the belt won't travel with the knife over to the edge of the platen but it just seems to be too loose, allowing the belt movement.

I am also trying to figure out a way to compensate for the slight angle of the belt. My wheels are off a little and the belt runs at a slight angle, causing different angles at the top of my grind. At least I think that is whats causing it.

I get confused easy so correct me if I'm wrong here...
- Pressure is key.
- Watch for sparks coming off of the whole area where the blade touches the belt. Making sure it is flat against the platen.
- Keep the pressure towards the edge and not the spine on both sides.
- Track the belt just past the platen to roll up in the plunge, keeping pressure toward the edge.
- The hand holding the tang applies the pressure and the other hand is used to guide the blade.

I have been getting my belts from Supergrit and when I order ceramic ones, the brand changes every time. Some are more stiff, some more soft, etc. It is weird. I will go back to using TruGrit. I didn't realize they offered all of those choices in the 2x42.

Have you had any problems using the finer grit belts on the Craftsman? I get "speed bumps" and other problems at 220 and finer. I would love to be able to spend more time grinding than hand sanding. I usually only use a 120 then go to hand sanding, starting at 220. My fingers are constantly cramped these days :les:...

One more question, do you use the grinder to sharpen any or do you use stones for the whole process. I am a little stumped here. I just got done reading "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" and learned a lot but it didn't really give the maker of knives a starting point. I understand how to correct the edge of a knife that had a bad sharpening to begin with, but it doesn't go into detail about starting with an edge at .015" or so. I am feeling that I need to grind the edge down to meet each side on the grinder, after heat treat, then move to stones for sharpening. This is where it gets nerve racking. I get nervous putting the blade back on the grinder after heat treat because of all of my problems.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read through my thread and post such an elaborate response. Your advice is greatly appreciated Don! I hope all of this makes sense...

Possibly the troubles you are having with finer grits could be less about the platen and more about the grind. I'm speaking from experience here. I found that any inconsistency I had in the flat grind would be magnified and exposed by the finer grits. The deep teeth on a 36 grit belt reach out, so to speak, and touch the whole blade. But when I put on a finer grit belt, if my grind was not truly flat and consistent across the whole blade,it would reveal a slight convex grind, (because I ran the grind marks up faster than I was actually grinding it flat). A finer grit will not reach the low areas because it is riding across the high areas I left with an inconsistent grind. When I realized what the finer grit was telling me, I started grinding slower and sometimes I have to put the coarse grit back on for a few passes to get it truly flat.

Let me show you a pic of a near worst case scenario. I had a friend come over and want to make a knife. I helped him thru each stage doing about half the grind for him whenever it started to get away from him. and he turned out a very nice knife. A couple days later he came back and wanted to make one "all by himself"

I said "go for it"

He brought me the knife after his initial grind. I told him just what I'm describing here. "It looks pretty good right now, but you have a convex grind instead of a flat grind. You need to bring it to flat."

Well he didn't believe me. he put on a 220 grit belt and started sanding. he started getting frustrated. he put on a 400 grit, and kept going. :(

Here is his knife.
B69BC90C-9BD5-4A41-A44C-9E2D5306ECAE-762-00000098C1C757FC_zpsc4ffd2cd.jpg

The more he polished the more it exposed. :( And I had given him a very cool set of scales to put on it. :( :(

Last edited:
Now I am getting excited because I think I am finally getting to the root of the problem with the wonderful help from you guys.

Most of my problems seem to be coming from not being able to keep the whole grind "flat". Ricky, I am definitely having the problem you described. I am having an issue with keeping the tip (from tip to a few inches back) flat against the platen while making a pass. I seem to tilt the blade a little as I come across the belt. I suspect this is causing the tip to stay fat and the belly to go thin. It is also probably part of the problem with the different shape of the flat areas toward the tip.

I am hoping that correcting the "pressure applied" problems will fix this on my next knife.

So, you get good results in the finer grit belts using a glass platen? I seem to have a tendency to blame the equipment rather than my "skills". Something I need to work on :biggrin:...

Thanks man!

So, you get good results in the finer grit belts using a glass platen? I seem to have a tendency to blame the equipment rather than my "skills". Something I need to work on :biggrin:...

Thanks man!

Yes, as long as my grind is flat. It is very hard to get that last inch or so of blade flat because that is where I (we) tend to drift off on our angle. There just isn't enough of the blade in contact with the belt to hold it's self in place and so it has to be held in place by your hand pressure.

Thanks Ricky!

I have seen someone keep a little tab of steel sticking up from the tip of the blade to help them with this problem. They then would grind it off when the bevels were done. I am going to try it on the next blade and see if it helps. I will report the results here.

I have been having a big problem with not being able to keep the blade at the same thickness along the cutting edge (which is contributing to my other problems); the tip stays thick, the belly gets super thin and the area right at the plunge stays thick. This is obviously a pressure problem and I also suspect that as I drag the blade across the belt, it doesn't stay flush against the belt. I think I try to put too much pressure on the blade and end up "rocking" it back and forth during the process of dragging it across the belt.

I have/had that problem as well. For me, it's the whole pressure/guide thing. I can't stress enough to watch where the sparks are in relationship to your belt. You may think you're doing great and look at the spark pattern and see that all the sparks are on the right or left side of the belt, which means this is where all the metal is being removed. I try and keep it in the middle of the belt. I also want to see a wide pattern of sparks. This lets me know that I have most of the bevel on the belt. A thin line of sparks means you have a small area on the belt. After a while, you can also tell by the sound and feel of the blade.

Now when either the ricasso area or tip is too thick, I can "cut in" at the middle of the blade and work my way out. I've also "cut in" at the tip and worked my way in, but in my experience, it can be harder to keep a flat angle. It's better for me when trying to thin the tip to start in the middle and work my way out, increasing pressure as I get toward the tip.

If I need to thin the area at the plunge, I start a little ways out and work back in. I don't like starting in the middle once it's thinner than the rest of the areas. Pay special attention and when you see these area getting thicker, take care of them at that time, don't wait until you're nearly finished. It will be much harder then!

Another thing I do is what you mentioned about the support / guide hand. So, my understanding is that you only use this hand for a guide and do not apply pressure with it. Say you are holding the tang in your left hand, your right hand should only be there to guide and not apply pressure? You put all of the pressure on the blade using the hand with the tang in it? This could be my main problem. I have been using the hand that holds the tang to guide and the other to put pressure on the blade.

Well....not exactly. Let's see if I can explain it better. I use my free hand, the hand on the blade itself, to keep a constant pressure on the blade. The hand on the tang is used to determine where the majority of the pressure goes. I may need to "twist" up a little to put pressure near the edge or I may need to pull out slightly to put more pressure near the tip. With the hand (actually "thumb") of my free hand, I just try and keep a constant pressure and let the hand on the tang guide the blade.

My grinder is on a little portable work stand, so I can't apply too much pressure. I think this has helped me.

Hmmm. I have a lot to think about now. Do you have anything attached to your platen or are you using it like how it came with the machine?.

Yes, I have a piece of ceramic tile JB Welded epoxied to the platten. Go down to Lowes or Home Depot and buy you one or two ceramic tiles and have them cut them to the size you want. I think you need a 2x4 or 2x6 (I'm not at my grinder now to know exactly). Most home improvement places will cut them to size for you. Just make sure you get it square on the platen!

I do hang the belt off the side of the platen but something weird happens that really screws up my plunge. On the right side, the belt does not "give" any and slices into the plunge giving it a 90* angle instead of a nice smooth curve. The belt just moves with the knife until you reach the platen. It does not roll up into the plunge. On the other side, the belt seems to be more forgiving and actually slides into the plunge pretty good. So one side has a 90* angle for the plunge and the other side has a nice looking curve to it. Does your machine have this problem? I tried tightening the tension so the belt won't travel with the knife over to the edge of the platen but it just seems to be too loose, allowing the belt movement.

One thing you may want to do is wait until you're nearly finished to cut your plunge in. Just grind the blade like you normally would and then just wait until you're nearly finished and just kinda "push" the plunge back where you want it. It takes a little practice, but for myself, it helped me quite a bit.

Yeah, I have the problem with the plunges also. With my ceramic plate, I adjust the belt until it's just barely over the edge. The stock platen may be allowing one side of the belt to flex more. But I believe my biggest problem here is also the location of where my hand pressure is.

Don't know if you've seen this, but this guy has several video's on the 2x42. Just look up "The $500 Knife Shop" on youtube. I've done nearly all these mods and a couple more to my 2x42. Here's one where he attaches a piece of ceramic to his platen. 2x42 Craftsman Mod - Adding a Ceramic Tile Platen

I am also trying to figure out a way to compensate for the slight angle of the belt. My wheels are off a little and the belt runs at a slight angle, causing different angles at the top of my grind. At least I think that is whats causing it.

I can't help you here. Mine isn't perfect either and I've just tried the best I can. I can certainly tell you that my first knives didn't look near as good as your first ones, so you're obviously handling the 2x42 better than I did.

I get confused easy so correct me if I'm wrong here...
- Pressure is key.
- Watch for sparks coming off of the whole area where the blade touches the belt. Making sure it is flat against the platen.
- Keep the pressure towards the edge and not the spine on both sides.
- Track the belt just past the platen to roll up in the plunge, keeping pressure toward the edge.
- The hand holding the tang applies the pressure and the other hand is used to guide the blade.

That's pretty much it except the last one as I explained it above. That hand...err thumb in my case...applies constant pressure and the hand on the tang guides where that pressure goes.
Have you had any problems using the finer grit belts on the Craftsman? I get "speed bumps" and other problems at 220 and finer. I would love to be able to spend more time grinding than hand sanding. I usually only use a 120 then go to hand sanding, starting at 220. My fingers are constantly cramped these days :les:...

Yeah, I get those "speed" bumps too. It's caused by the joint in the belt running over the platen. You feel it more on finer grits. It's one reason I switch over to Gator belts after a 120 grit Norton Blaze. I don't feel them as much on the Gators or the Scotchbrite belts.

One more question, do you use the grinder to sharpen any or do you use stones for the whole process. I am a little stumped here. I just got done reading "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" and learned a lot but it didn't really give the maker of knives a starting point.

I don't even try to sharpen on my 2x42. Like you, that makes me a little nervous. Years ago, before I started making knives, I picked up one of these at a gun show. It's been my best purchase for sharpening knives! They're a whole lot more expensive now, but still worth it in my opinion. The Sharp Machine
I really appreciate you taking the time to read through my thread and post such an elaborate response. Your advice is greatly appreciated Don! I hope all of this makes sense...

Not a problem. Lots of good folks here helped me when I was getting started. Just remember, grinding is all about muscle memory. I still mess up quite a bit, but with every knife, I'm getting better and better. You're off to a great start, don't fret the small stuff because you're not going to turn out a perfect knife!

Don,
Great post. Between you and Ricky, I think I have just about every question I had answered. Now I need to read your last 2 posts a hundred times to absorb all the information and go try it all out. I wish I had a pile of blanks laying around...

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I am sure it will help a lot of other people out also.

I got my KnifeDogs etcher in today. Fast and excellent service as always. Thanks Boss!

I don't know why but getting this machine makes me feel like a kid on Christmas. It came with everything needed including detailed instructions. All I am waiting for now are my stencils. Can't wait to try this thing out...

2013Progress001_zpsba0bd571.jpg

2013Progress002_zpse5ceb273.jpg

This has got me pumped up to finish the few knives I have waiting for handles.:biggrin:

Back