1st Annual Knife Dogs Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing I'd like to to ensure is that the less rules we have designed to exclude knives or define them, the better. The more we can make this inclusive the better. The more people we can attract the better. There is no 'paying dues', there is no 'you haven't posted here before' or 'you just came here for this' mentality. You can be brand new to Dogs and still enter your knife into a category. We want to be open, friendly, outgoing and inclusive. No minimum time as a KD member, no minimum posts, no 'old boys club'.

Let's be bigger than that. It costs us nothing and we have lot's of friends to gain from it.

...I just realized...
for a moment there,I was being an elitist snob.
Folks, pay no attention to me...I had a :steve: moment.
I need to go back out,and check my attitude,
'cause it really needs an adjustment.:34:

Don't sweat it Ironwolf, I've had to re-think my original impressions too. I don't think it hurts any to throw ideas out there and let 'em get kicked around.

I with Tracy on this, let's not overcomplicate things, this is the first one.We can grow from here, just have 10 or less categories and have some fun, no nitpicking about who's in, what kind of knives. Let's just make it simple ,get through the first one and then we have a whole year to dissect the process.Dave

Well said, Boss. I completely agree.

Forged and stock removal catergories: I disagree. I think this should be about the final product regardless of how it was made or else will get into all of the old squabbles about CNC, etc. Either method can produce an excellent knife and each method requires it's own set of skills. I would rather see the categories be about different styles of knives.

I like the original categories suggested in the first post with a couple a caveats.

# 10 What defines a new knifemaker? That should be simple enough but it needs definition. Someone who has been making knives one year or less?

# 13 I would suggest the special award be for someone who has contributed to the knife world in a significant way in the last year. Something like the Guild's Red Watson Memorial award or Nate Posner award. The recipient need not necessarily be a knifemaker. It could be a collector, writer, photographer, publisher, show promoter, or dealer as long as they have done something to promote or enhance the world of knives. For example; the Guild gave it's Nate Posner award to Dr David Darom last year for his contributions through his many books about knives.

Since we are drawing our nominees from postings here on KnifeDogs over the past year, it is obvious that any nominee would have to be a member of this forum but there are still plenty to choose from.

I totally agree with a limited number of categories to start with. When I watch the "Oscars" I want to see who won Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Actress. Then I start getting real sleepy watching the rest of the categories. I don't think we are ready for the "Best Domed Pins in a Short Knife" category.

I don't think we are ready for the "Best Domed Pins in a Short Knife" category.

1lg018rofl.gif

Nice offer. Thank you.
Let's keep this on the table for an option.
I am going to PM you for a quote on some work for me.

I like the KISS approach....the look of the award is not as important as receiving the recognition and honor........we should have at least a
Dog in it which would always remind us where and when this idea came from. It could be a stuffed Dog holding a knife, lol. It's great to see the input and ideas. Let's keep it Dog in nature...........just another idea.
"This is who we are" Cool

Here's a really simple black walnut plaque I did as a protoytpe for the local 500 ILWU in Vancouver:
(they later decided on a simpler plaque)...
If simple,wooden plaques are decided on,
I can provide them: each will be hand-made,one at a time.
I can do 'em however it's decided they'll look,and the material for each one will be hand-picked for color
and figure.
(and did I mention,at no charge? I'll supply the wood and the work,
as a token of my appreciation for being part of this place).
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Having them made by a member (or compilation of several) would make these even more special, IMHO...

props to you for offering to do this! :D

Looks like the biggest share of comments and suggestions regarding the awards program are starting to dwindle, so I think we will move onto the next step sometime this weekend. There's still time to voice your opinions and present your ideas until then.

The mods and admins who wish to participate will then mull these issues over and try to thin them down to something manageable, keeping in mind that there will always be room for improvement in the following years.

Also, keep posting photos of your current work (or another members) in the 2011 picture thread in the main forum.

Thanks, Steve

I haven't been very active on here lately due to some other projects and other junk, But I will be happy to work on the plaque design. Let me know what you are wanting.

Just a quick update.
The awards have taken a little longer than expected, but I'm working on the final proofs of the engraved plates. Each go around takes a couple days.
These beauties are very unique and will be worth the wait.

Bear with me, should be delivered in about 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Steve

Bruce you will love this award. We originally were going with a plaque but settled on a small gold statue of a knife maker wearing a flannel shirt and a big grin.

We may have to change their name to the "BRUCIES"

Thats my winter outfit, in the summer I wear a half burned up T shirt. Love the new name! hehe
Bruce you will love this award. We originally were going with a plaque but settled on a small gold statue of a knife maker wearing a flannel shirt and a big grin.

We may have to change their name to the "BRUCIES"

Got the tracking numbers on the trophies today. They'll be here Thursday.
I'll post some pics and get them shipped right out.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back