$150

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
Is this a good price on a surface grinder? I have a bigger motor and I have to find a magnetic table for it. I can convert it over to belt. But is it a good price.

150 bucks is too good of a price,depends on how much is wrong with it.With out a discription or pic's it's hard to tell.
Most surface grinders I have been looking at are a grand and up.
Stan

It might not be too bad. It's a good enough deal that you should make sure your not getting a POS.

If it runs ok and its not a chinese machine then it's probably worth it.

Got more details?

Automatic?
Size?
Brand?

Before I picked up my surface grinder, I saw several good ones go for less that $500 that I let pass just for the shipping!

I paid about $300 to get mine to my house from one state over!

Before I picked up my surface grinder, I saw several good ones go for less that $500 that I let pass just for the shipping!

I paid about $300 to get mine to my house from one state over!

I must be lookin' in the wrong places then. Those are good prices.

BC

I must be lookin' in the wrong places then. Those are good prices.

BC

Got a friend that is always looking for different things for resale. Had a metal lathe that was about 6 feet long and it wouldn't fit in his shop and he paid 500 for it. Then turned around and sold it for 650. It ran and it was great. He had it on his back porch using it till he sold it.

Be sure it operates back and forth smoothly. The price is good but also check the bearings on the spindle. Those are expensive to buy and require some special procedures to replace or they will be ruined. Frieght is a killer here. I got lucky as mine was local.

If you are looking for something to hog off material with a belt, it sounds like a great deal!!

I have a old POS Reid surface grinder, I traded one of my knives for it. I put flood coolant on it and run a ceramic stone, and it still holds tight tolerances.

The trouble can be finding parts for one if they break.

What I wouldn't give for a hydraulic one, especially after cranking it back and forth for a couple of hours.

Back