10 gallon knife

Squawsach

I call it the 10 gallon knife because I lost 10 gallons of fluid making it. It's hot and humid in Oklahoma. I can take working in the garage for only a couple hours before I have to quit and replace my fluids. The summer has slowed my knife making down but I did manage to finish this one.

finishtigerknife006.jpg

Nice- when you need to replace some of the fluid you need to show up at the Dunkin Donut shop on 39th to show off to the knife guys there. 1 PM every day. When I am lucky I show up sometimes.

That is a great looking knife , ten gallon it bad wait till late aug it will be a twelve gallon knife.lol

Gary, I' working on a couple of 10 gallons right now, out in the shop at 7:30am and out at 10am.

Nice sweety knife Hee hee.

That is absolutely beautiful. Well worth the 10 gallons.

Charlie

I can see that even though you were hot and no doubt miserable, you did not short change your fit and finish. Very good looking knife!!!

Well done Gary. Looks really nice. How'd you get the bolsters to stay on? I don't see any pins? I was told everyone in OK had A/C in their garages, not so? Dozier

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll be be in the shop standing in a puddle of my own sweat today.

Mike, I love coffee and may see you at the coffee shop in the future.

wdtorque, I'm not one of the lucky ones that have AC in their shop. On this knife, I used 306 brass for both the bolster and the pins which hold the bolsters. It's a little different for me. I usually use two different brasses and my pins can be seen.

Gary very nice work. :D I like the brass, goes well with that handle.
Can you tell me what type of wood this is, I really like the grain in it.

The wood is tiger stripe Dymond wood.
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=587_826_837&products_id=3025

Regular Dymond wood is a great material for knife handles but it looks kinda cheap and it tends to be thought of as a material for new makers. The tiger stripe Dymond wood gives a better look but still has all the benefits of the flat laminated Dymond wood. It's nice to work with.

i love laminated wood. the stuff is tough as heck. love the knife!

Wow! You've really come a long way since your first postings on RFC. That is an exceptionally fine looking knife. Makes me want to ask how much you want for it. In stead I'll ask for a few more specifics: steel? dimensions? sole authorship?

I really lilke how the bolsters came out too. Really, really nice.

Gary, that turned out nice. I'll have to look for some of that dyamondwood. I like the looks of that.

If you'll let me know when you might make it to the donut shop I'll try to make it too. It's a good group of guys over there and they appreciate fine knives. Don't be surprised if someone tries to buy or trade for whatever you bring though.

SDS

Wow! You've really come a long way since your first postings on RFC. That is an exceptionally fine looking knife. Makes me want to ask how much you want for it. In stead I'll ask for a few more specifics: steel? dimensions? sole authorship?

I really lilke how the bolsters came out too. Really, really nice.

Yea, my knifemaking hobby is almost completely documented on RFC from the first to my latest and the one knifemaking tutorial I put together.

The knife is 8 1/2" OAL and made from 3/16" O1.

Back