1" wide contact wheel setop

Rick Haney Design

I've been contemplating going to a 1" wide contact wheels for awhile,Now I took the plunge!(pun intended) courtesy of Doug@ Stephen Bader & Co.He gratiously turned my 10" serrated & 3" smooth that was supplied with my Dozier Grinder,he promply sent these back to me!Saved money to boot.Doug is making me a 10" smooth 1" wide as we speak. In recent threads about contact wheel choices,Mick Strider,John Barger talk about more control,More belts, More edges.Glad to be back in the shop again!

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 36
I haven't used a 1" wheel myself yet... I see how it might work better than a 2" in making folder size blades.
Please let us know how it works for you.
t

Yes,
Please do give a a recap of your findings of a 1" contact wheel.
I have been a Flat of convex devotee for most of my knife making years and have been considering going to a hollow for some small blades? The 1" sounds interesting.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Tracy, Hell,I started out like a lot of makers on a 1X42" wide belt on my first grinder!I remembered how I liked the control of the grind on my folder blades using the 1" belt.BTW,Your belt splitter works like a champ!:3:

Laurence,I'll definitely give some feedback on using this new setup.:biggrin:

I haven't used a 1" wheel as such but have placed several wraps of masking tape on an 8" wheel and placed a factor made 1" belt on it . It worked very well on a short recurved blade. I never did try to do more in that manner but I will now have to try it again. Thanks for the thread. Frank

I haven't used a 1" wheel as such but have placed several wraps of masking tape on an 8" wheel and placed a factor made 1" belt on it . It worked very well on a short recurved blade. I never did try to do more in that manner but I will now have to try it again. Thanks for the thread. Frank

That sounds like a good why to try a 1" wheel? I have plenty of 1" blue tape at the shop. Hmmm?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

When I get a little bit of extra funds, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 1x10" (or maybe a 1x8") wheel and a belt splitter.

Got some kerambits profiled that I think this setup would be perfect for.

Back