1" wide contact wheel setop

Rick Haney Design

I've been contemplating going to a 1" wide contact wheels for awhile,Now I took the plunge!(pun intended) courtesy of Doug@ Stephen Bader & Co.He gratiously turned my 10" serrated & 3" smooth that was supplied with my Dozier Grinder,he promply sent these back to me!Saved money to boot.Doug is making me a 10" smooth 1" wide as we speak. In recent threads about contact wheel choices,Mick Strider,John Barger talk about more control,More belts, More edges.Glad to be back in the shop again!

Attachments

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I haven't used a 1" wheel myself yet... I see how it might work better than a 2" in making folder size blades.
Please let us know how it works for you.
t

rhinoknives

Yes,
Please do give a a recap of your findings of a 1" contact wheel.
I have been a Flat of convex devotee for most of my knife making years and have been considering going to a hollow for some small blades? The 1" sounds interesting.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Rick Haney Design

Tracy, Hell,I started out like a lot of makers on a 1X42" wide belt on my first grinder!I remembered how I liked the control of the grind on my folder blades using the 1" belt.BTW,Your belt splitter works like a champ!:3:

Laurence,I'll definitely give some feedback on using this new setup.:biggrin:

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
I haven't used a 1" wheel as such but have placed several wraps of masking tape on an 8" wheel and placed a factor made 1" belt on it . It worked very well on a short recurved blade. I never did try to do more in that manner but I will now have to try it again. Thanks for the thread. Frank

rhinoknives

I haven't used a 1" wheel as such but have placed several wraps of masking tape on an 8" wheel and placed a factor made 1" belt on it . It worked very well on a short recurved blade. I never did try to do more in that manner but I will now have to try it again. Thanks for the thread. Frank
That sounds like a good why to try a 1" wheel? I have plenty of 1" blue tape at the shop. Hmmm?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Drew Riley

When I get a little bit of extra funds, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 1x10" (or maybe a 1x8") wheel and a belt splitter.

Got some kerambits profiled that I think this setup would be perfect for.