The Laser Thread

Dang....you guys are killing me with your lasers!
I really needed an excuse to buy another piece of equipment!
I see that your diode lasers can achieve a fairly permanent dark mark on blade steel.
Are you able to get any depth on the steel with a diode laser?
I see they have some 40 watt ones available and I'm wondering if they would handle the steel.
I would like my makers mark to have a bit of depth...enough to catch a fingernail, and survive some abuse and scrubbing on the blade.
Do I need to spring for a fiber laser to do that?

I would like my makers mark to have a bit of depth...enough to catch a fingernail, and survive some abuse and scrubbing on the blade.
I think for a deep etch you'll need a fiber laser for that. They seem to be best for engraving in metal. That is from my reading and understanding - I have NO personal experience with fiber.

Dang....you guys are killing me with your lasers!
I really needed an excuse to buy another piece of equipment!
I see that your diode lasers can achieve a fairly permanent dark mark on blade steel.
Are you able to get any depth on the steel with a diode laser?
I see they have some 40 watt ones available and I'm wondering if they would handle the steel.
My Ortur 10 watt diode laser is sufficient to leave a nice mark on AEB-L hardened to about 61-62 that won't come off easily. I made a mistake on one of my knives with the laser. After sanding with 220 for about half an hour to clean it up, you could still clearly see my mark. Though it was much lighter. It would most certainly survive simple scrubbing for quite some time.

Agree with Sean on how good the mark is from a diode laser. I've also got the OLM3 10 watt diode laser and the marks are good. Takes a bit of grinding if you mess up and need to re-etch. While it's a good mark, it's not .003" or even .002" deep marks as the OP was asking about. From what I've read the fiber (of sufficient wattage) can actually mark the desired .002" or .003" depth.

Is there a difference between marking aluminum and steel or stainless? I tried to mark aluminum with my 20 watt both raw and painted black. Once at 100% power- 150mm sec, and 100% power and 50 mm sec. took the paint off but no etch into the metal. Help!

That is impressive - For comparison I do engraving in SS at 100% at 300mm/min. That's about 1/10th of your speed. I'm impressive with your results.

Played around with a full blade etch. The dragon was first and warped the blade. Then the laser assy. pushed it around a bit and messed it up. I did the other side, and it took the warp out! This is heat treated AEB-L.

100% at 4800 mm/m with 2 passes and it took somewhere between 20-30 minutes a side.

20231119_131132.jpg20231119_131144.jpg

Played around with a full blade etch. The dragon was first and warped the blade. Then the laser assy. pushed it around a bit and messed it up. I did the other side, and it took the warp out! This is heat treated AEB-L.

100% at 4800 mm/m with 2 passes and it took somewhere between 20-30 minutes a side.

View attachment 83751View attachment 83752
That whole blade etching looks interesting, but do you know how much it heated up your blade?
If it caused a warp I wonder if it would be hot enough to affect your heat treat.

That whole blade etching looks interesting, but do you know how much it heated up your blade?
If it caused a warp I wonder if it would be hot enough to affect your heat treat.

I tested the blade in 4 different areas, and I see no difference in the heat treat. It's still right where it was prior to engraving.

I made sure to test in the areas where it got the hottest.

I also think I went a little overboard on both the design and my settings. I'm going to try a single pass next time and maybe even a little less power.

I'm experimenting a lot right now.

Tomorrow I'm going to engrave a camel bone scale on a knife I've already completed. It's being raffled off to help a fellow ATF agent who was recently paralyzed from the neck down during an undercover operation. I'm going to put his badge number on it.

Those with a 20 watt or smaller, are you coating your blade to etch?
All 10 watt lasers are not the same - a lot depends on the diameter of the laser dot.

I'm going to engrave a camel bone scale on a knife I've already completed.
Get ready to smell hot bone. I've not engraved any bone yet, but leather cutting and engraving sure does put a smell in the room.

Somebody asked about paint vs no paint. Here's the same image engraved on opposite sides of blade. The black paint seems sharper, but I think that's a matter of camera focus rather than the laser. Holding blade in my hand they seem the same except the paint is more "black. Also the no paint is the about the same as 50mm/min with 1 pass. I should have done them the same for fairness. The paint at 100mm/min was 18 minutes while the no paint was 29 minutes.

This first with no paint is 200mm/min at 100% power, 3 passes.

Etched-with-no-paint.jpg

This one is with black spray paint at 100 mm/min at 100% power 1 pass.
Etched-with-Black-Paint.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody asked about paint vs no paint. Here's the same image engraved on opposite sides of blade. The black paint seems sharper, but I think that's a matter of camera focus rather than the laser. Holding blade in my hand they seem the same except the paint is more "black. Also the no paint is the about the same as 50mm/min with 1 pass. I should have done them the same for fairness. The paint at 100mm/min was 18 minutes while the no paint was 29 minutes.

This first with no paint is 200mm/min at 100% power, 3 passes.
Etched-with-no-paint.jpg

This one is with black spray paint at 100 mm/min at 100% power 1 pass.
Etched-with-Black-Paint.jpg

2nd one looks better in pictures on the web...

For sure the 2nd looks better on the web. As I mentioned before both look the same except for color when holding in hand. The only difference I can tell is the color of the no paint image is slightly not so "black" as the image that was painted. The wife insists she can tell no difference except for the shade of black between the two images.

Chris, your image is etched at 4800 mm/min at 100% power with two passes - that's as 1 pass at 2400 mm/min compared to my image at 100 mm/min speed. Your complex image took 20 to 30 minutes to engrave - that would be hours of time at 100 mm/min. Your 40 watts have a BIG advantage over my measly 10 watts of power.

Back