Have you heard the latest Rumor about Bossdog................

This is looking to be a hell of a grinder build. Looking forward to the test runs!!

Almost looks like something out of the movie Alien. H.R. Giger....< my fav artist!:D Love the design features.

Looking great guys. Cant wait to see it run.

Chris

Hey Guys,

Looks to be good times for new direct drive grinders: the EERF grinder at BF and the BLG (Boss Lake Grinder :D) at KD!

I may have missed it, or might not understand this quite right, but it looks like your using a "proprietary" method to attach the tool arm. That is, not like other grinders do. If this is so, are you planning on an optional adapter that can be attached so tool arms from other grinders can be inserted?

Thanks, Phil

I'd add a washer under the nut holding the swivel arm in the slot so it doesn't booger up the slot.
Where the two bolts are going through the platen, I'd run some countersunk flathead bolts from the other side, with nuts and washers on the platen side.
Is that uncut slot marked below the main slot gonna be for attaching attachments?
Nice looking piece of machinery!

I'd add a washer under the nut holding the swivel arm in the slot so it doesn't booger up the slot.
Where the two bolts are going through the platen, I'd run some countersunk flathead bolts from the other side, with nuts and washers on the platen side.
Is that uncut slot marked below the main slot gonna be for attaching attachments?
Nice looking piece of machinery!

good eye Howie..

We are going to use some countersunk flatheads or threaded holes and put the bolts in "from the other side" in a couple places so a lot of that rough look goes away.

A washer for sure under that holding bolt. We'll have a change there so it's a one handed tightening mechinism. It is unworkable now as a standard bolt.

There will be another slot cut in for tool arm and other attachments.

Phil
An optional typical tool bar slot is easy. Weld a boss or two onto a tube and bolt it to the slot. Instant tool bar socket.

Looks good! Once you get them all figured out, a nice acccessory for down the road would be a hinged bottom plate so you could turn it into a horizontal when needed. ;)

Dang Michael, I was already thinking about that for the Build a Belt Grinder Workshops. You just stole my thunder.

Another thing that I have come up with is a way to wire the Workshop grinders so that you can reverse the direction of rotation. This would be useful to be able to reverse the rotation when using the 8" wheel for sharpening, similar to using a paper wheel.

Would it make sense to make the tool arm a bit thicker at the nose, so the lower slot could be extended as long as the upper?

Leadfoot

It needs a small removable worktable that is squared with the flat platten, for grinding profile!! Make it so it can be removed and replaced easily but is alway square!!

W

The name I am now using is Samgee for Swivel Arm Metal Grinder.

Any suggestions on any part of this would be appreciated.

Samgee is the guy at my local 7-11 store that sells me potato chips and Slurpees....

...have a contest, I know that there are better names out there, why not something that ties back into the knifedogs theme, or KNIFEMAKERUSA brand ?...

- then engrave / etch / jet it into every grinder, so that each shop tour pic on the web becomes advertising for your brand

Last edited:
Looks good! Once you get them all figured out, a nice acccessory for down the road would be a hinged bottom plate so you could turn it into a horizontal when needed. ;)

We have plans for a horizontal some time later this year. We have to get this one done and then we have the double hollow/flat grinder to work on. Dave built a first proto today.

Dang Michael, I was already thinking about that for the Build a Belt Grinder Workshops. You just stole my thunder.

Another thing that I have come up with is a way to wire the Workshop grinders so that you can reverse the direction of rotation. This would be useful to be able to reverse the rotation when using the 8" wheel for sharpening, similar to using a paper wheel.

We talked about some way of getting a cardboard wheel option. We just haven't figured it out yet.

Would it make sense to make the tool arm a bit thicker at the nose, so the lower slot could be extended as long as the upper?

Leadfoot

Probably but we wanted the to spread out the stress a little so it didn't all end up in one area.

It needs a small removable worktable that is squared with the flat platten, for grinding profile!! Make it so it can be removed and replaced easily but is alway square!!

We know there needs to be a work table but we aren't sure what it will look like or even if it will come out with the initial release.

Samgee is the guy at my local 7-11 store that sells me potato chips and Slurpees....

...have a contest, I know that there are better names out there, why not something that ties back into the knifedogs theme, or KNIFEMAKERUSA brand ?...

- then engrave / etch / jet it into every grinder, so that each shop tour pic on the web becomes advertising for your brand

Dave and I talked about this today. We have some ideas but nothing sounds just right yet. It might call for a contest. Name that Grinder at Blade would be fun...

belt-side-view-proto1.jpg

Motor side.
motor-side-proto-1.jpg

The name I am now using is Samgee for Swivel Arm Metal Grinder.

Any suggestions on any part of this would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Tracy and Dave what about making the vertical plate about 4" taller and then you might be able to add a small wheel attachment. Making it a three wheel arm? Don't know if possible.

And if you made it taller you could put on a receiver attachment to handle a MAPS ARM or your version of one. Just place it back a bit.

Sorry I really like the design and I know I am not the one working on it, but you asked for suggestions.

I am all ready looking at what you have mounted and it isn't going to take much to get this up and running.

Will there be two versions like one you have to bolt togather and one you have to drill and tap and bolt togather?

I agree with 123456789 about naming the grinder. I think just using your U.S.A Knifegrinder,maybe a model #.Just my thoughts.
D.B

I am very much looking forward to this grinder.

My Grizzly has been doing an adequate job, but I am so ready to take the step up to a "pro" grinder.

Updates, and maybe a price point, are anxiously awaited.:bud:

I share your pain! I am grinding on a Coote.....While it keeps me grinding, I am ready to upgrade to a "Pro Grinder" myself2thumbs

Come on T and David.....Lets have it:unsure::D:D

Back