Have you heard the latest Rumor about Bossdog................

Chris is this what not knowing is doing to you?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8"]YouTube- Carly Simon - Anticipation[/ame]

It will happen, remember build it and they will come.

I am working on the grinder now. We hit a snag but figured out a way around it. I am building it out to get the next version where it needs to be.

We have several design changes to make. This is a proof of concept build. I haven't even tightened all the bolts.

This will be a direct drive grinder. The advantages are: less power loss due to reduced drive train friction, less noise, less vibration, smoother power flow (with the right motor set up), easier build with a standard 56C face motor (very common).
The disadvantage is you can't use low cost step pulleys for speed control.

We are using high quality Beaumont Metal Works drive and tracking wheels. Wheels can be premium quality Beaumont or lower cost poly.

A swivel arm eliminates all the tool bars...or not. I could easily see multiple swivel arms with different size wheels.

Left to design:

• a tool rest we will add another slot just under the swivel arm slot
  • an optional small wheel attachment. This may require dismounting the entire swivel but we have not given it any thought yet.
  • an optional mounting pedestal for the speed controller if you are going with an external speed control.
  • a one hand method of tightening the swivel arm in place when pulling the arm to tighten the belt.
  • standardized nuts, bolts and sourcing
  • tension spring selection - most won't like the doubled over door spring I am using here in this build.
  • review the fastening method of attaching the vertical plate to the base plate. currently it is held by 3 bolts threaded into the vertical plate.

Changes to this design noted during this build:
  • standardizing some hole sizes
  • moving a couple hole locations slightly
  • lengthen the tracking arm swivel block
  • lengthen back of tension arm for additional spring tension leverage
  • change base plate dimensions - the whole thing tips to the front now. We will need to narrow the plate and make it longer so it won't tip forward.
  • counter sink holes on the swivel arm for bolt clearance

The belt side.

belt-side-view-proto1.jpg

Motor side.
motor-side-proto-1.jpg

The name I am now using is Samgee for Swivel Arm Metal Grinder.

Any suggestions on any part of this would be appreciated.

Now I am excited, if you are making a list for testers, put me down for number 1.
Jim

Last edited:
Dave and I went over the design updates tonight. We've figured out the modifications but I'll need to get this one wired up and running and check the clearance and belt alignment. We aren't that far off.

That looks fantastic! Seriously, buy the plans for a NWG the day I saw this thread... Should have waited! Oh well. :)

I'm re-doing the CAD to be 100% perfect. Should be ready to rock with these as soon as testing is done. 2thumbs

Any idea on the price point yet? Just a ballpark.

we haven't even started to figure out a price yet other than we are not going for cheapest grinder on the market...having said that, we do think this will be a very economical grinder. I sure wish I could even throw anything out there but I can't even do that.

we haven't even started to figure out a price yet other than we are not going for cheapest grinder on the market...having said that, we do think this will be a very economical grinder. I sure wish I could even throw anything out there but I can't even do that.

I completely understand. I have a KMG clone, and Ive been wanting to upgrade. This one looks very promising. I think Ill wait till you guys get it done before putting money into another grinder.

Now I am excited, if you are making a list, put me down for number 1.
Jim

Well, if you are #1, then I am definitely #2.... wait, that didn't come out right.... wait, neither did that.

I'll just leave now, where's my coat?

Back