A thoughtful and respectful email I received..

I suppose everybody has their own experience and many things could effect that. I am new here and also a newbie. I have posted 3 questions in the Knifemakers area and have received great feedback from several guys. I feel welcome here and I know that you guys will give me your honest opinion and feedback based on your own experience and knowledge. I have been really impressed with the Knifemaking community in general and their willingness to share and encourage. I hope to be someone who can share my experience with other new makers the way the experienced makers have shared with me.
I remember about a year ago I emailed a well known maker who is on this board and he got back to me like an hour later with a several paragraph answer to my question. I will always look at this maker as a great guy who took the time to encourage and help a new guy!! You guys are great as far as I am concerned!

I don't post alot, but I find when I do several jump in with help and compliments. I do spend alot of time just lurking and learning.
Great sight!!!
Dave

Thanks CD. I just didn't want the "Old Dogs" to think all of us Newbies thought like the writer of that letter. I would never have guessed that you were a Newbie too from the knife in your signature line!!

Oh and Thanks for the Newbie section!! I've already posted there!!

As a couple of others have said, my computer time is sometimes limited so I don't check in on the welcome thread real often. It's not that I don't want to welcome folks to the forum but I would spend more time trying to do that than I have so I check in on several other sub-forums. I don't ever recall seeing anything other than courteous behavior here. Even when there have been disagreements, they have been respectful.

Everyone should feel welcome on Knife Dogs and take a little time to get acquainted. It's kind of like moving to a new town; it just takes a little time to find your way around.

Just my .02,
Carey

When I hit twenty posts I started welcoming other new guy's, even those who might be shy will notice in a short time that KD encourages ALL to get in and participate. Thanks All for this great, friendly site.

luvsite1luvsite1luvsite1yea!I have felt welcome here from day ONE. I have always recieved accurate and knowledgeable answers to my questions, and am grateful for them and all the other info here. Just want to say thanks again to anybody and everybody who has taken time to answer my questions.luvsite1yea!

I can understand how a new guy could feel intimidated a bit just coming in. When I joined BF about a year ago I was a bit shy at first and then began posting a few comments here and there in compliment and eventually began asking questions.

My question about grinding belts is what led me to make the aquaintance of Boss. Boss answered all of my question as if we had been friends for years. When I began placing orders for supplies from Boss I noticed he was starting a new forum but erneously thought there was no way it could be better than the other forums I belonged to ( boy was I wrong). At the time I think there were only about half a dozen or so members here so I passed on joining but came back a few weeks later. I bounced back and forth berween the several forums til I asked a question about advice on who to send a blade to for HT. Rusty chimmed in and told me to send it his way and he'd take care of it for me. I was extremely impressed with hiskindness and I have continued to be impressed with the kindness and generosity of our members.

The main hing hat continues to impress me about Knife Dogs is how we have all come together as a community. Over the past several monhs I have had the opportunity to meet several of our members either in person or by phone calls and have felt as though we have been friends for years. This place is a new evolution in internet forums in my opinion. I really hope this guy comes back to spend more time with us so he can realize we are a family with open arms willing to accept anyone who wishes to participate and follow the rules.

Like is the people here have been great, and one thing this site offers more than others is the tutorial section. the people here are willing here your ideas and not just beat down the newbs for their lack of knowledge. that's always a good sign of good community.

Excellent comments I think. As we grow, our personality is bound to have some peaks and valleys but if we continue to be as polite, friendly, respectful, professional and G rated as we have shown to date, I think we can continue to be successful. We can still have some fun, we can still learn, we can still enjoy it. My hats off to all of you.

I have only been a member for a short while and think this site is the best. I don’t think I am entitled that you all have to answer all my questions, (I am sure you are busy with you real lives too) but I sometimes get stuck and am not sure where to get the direction from. For what I have asked, I have received a great response and for that I am thankful.

Uncle Billy

I think this place is absolutely great,full of knowledgeable and experienced craftsmen ready to help anyone who needs it. I dunno who this person is boss but can you get him/her to come back and give us another shot?

istockphoto_8225481-anvil-icon.jpg

In the "edit your profile" section of the user CP
http://knifedogs.com/profile.php?do=editprofile
There should be a question like:
Your Knife Making Level
Then users could put something like
N00by
Expert
Novice
25+ years
ABS member
etc.

Or
Your Goals at KD:
Learn knife making
Improve my skills
Help others learn
117713-matte-blue-and-white-square-icon-people-things-knife-set-sc43.png

You could also have a form/ template/sugegstion in the Introductions Pages
Instead of "tell us about yourself"
Give the new members some "guidance" into what they should tell us in the intro's
What do you hope to gain from your KD experience?
How long have you collected knives?
How many knives have you made?
What type of knives do you make? (or want to learn to make) Folders? Fixed blades?
Forged? Stock removal?

From another knife forum I am on==>
Are you a member of any knife club now?
Yes

Do you currently subscribe to any knife publication (offline)
Yes

How long have you collected knives?
3- 5 years

Favorite Kind of Knives
Vintage Fixed Blades
Camillus
Schrade
Western Cutlery
Buck
Robeson
Kinfolks
Case XX
Luxrite
Old Hickory
Utica
Imperial
Union Cutlery
Ka-Bar
Pastor Aleman
Pat Crawford Knives
Conetta
Clyde Cutlery Company

Website
http://www.***********

About Me

Interests
Pretty much anything vintage and cool

Other Hobbies
Music, guns, history
Share your originality only with tolerant friends and those who are sure to appreciate your uniqueness.

It would be even better if you could create some sort of "ranking"
Visible in all member posts
Like a 1 star (anvil?hammer? forging tongs?) for novice knife makers
2 star for intermediate
3 star for expert
4 star for ABS journeyman
5 star for ABS master
It could be self reported so there are not any politics involved in the ranking
That way you can see , at a glance, if the guy responding to your post/question is an expert or a nooby
I have seen other forums where they have different "badges"
Most are based on post count or amount donated to the server, that I have seen..................

member-badges11.png

Deviant_Art_Member_Badges_by_mushir.png

Just my 2 cents
I don't think it would create any warranted "divisions" in the KD community
But, who knows
Forum politics/social hierarchy can be kind of weird huh1......:bud:

I had that same feeling at another forum, but not here at Knife Dogs.
A "Bigger Forum" had the feel that us noobs were more of a pain than an asset.
KD has always been a great source for me to gain knowledge and every member has always been willing to answer my questions no matter how trivial they might be.
Hate to hear he didn't feel welcomed.
I will also make it a point to try to check the intro page more often too.

They say that the older you get that the harder you are to please, right?

Well, I am probably one of the oldest members here (87 day after tomorrow) and I am as pleased as can be with this forum and its administration. ---Sandy---

Last edited:
They say that the older you get that the harder you are to plese, right?

Well, I am probably one of the oldest members here (87 day after tomorrow) and I am as pleased as can be with this forum and its administration. ---Sandy---

Now I know you're not a day over 35.:D How was the cross country trip?
Hope you had a blast.2thumbs

And many happy returns of the day, my friend.

Fred

Ed thats really a funny story about the phone call . When I first started I had a top knife maker that lives really close to me tell me ,you wanna know anything ill help you with anything you want. So I phoned him up and asked if he had time to show me a few things and I would make the 50 mile drive. His reply was just this, I DONT LET NO ONE IN MY SHOP . I was dumbfounded and rarely lost for words but I just replyied thats ok I understand about the saftey issues and said goodbye. I would never turn away anyone that needed instruction on little things to get them on the right track. I will never forget that guy.

They say that the older you get that the harder you are to plese, right?

Happy Birthday Sandy...
thanks for your endorsement. I appreciate it.

WOW! I have never seen a thread that got so many responses to quickly.
This shows how dearly we hold our forum and friends.
At Batson's this past weekends we (dogs) stood around my hospitality tent and visited like we had known each other for years even though we were actually seeing each other for the first time. I gave out most of my supply of KD cards and saw that others were recruiting also. (If Murph isn't careful the Army will transfer him to a Recruiter's Office)
I think that we are all, rightfully, proud of Knife Dogs and want to offer Salvation to any others who are interested.
I just want to say "Thank you" to all of you.

Back