Zulu Spear Slip Joint "Bushbaby Jr."

Stefan,
I was just looking at this knife on your FB page. As usual, I am awe stricken by your work. That warthog tusk looks as if it would be interesting to work with.

Generally, as a material it's not difficult to work. The challenge is finding a flat piece to cut out. The tusk turns and twists at the same, so you need to get a reasonably big one to cut scales from.

Have you tried any straightening techniques? Straightening/flattening horn used to be frequently done but it seems the various techniques are becoming sort of a lost art. I would try heating or soaking in vinegar. I can straightened cow bone by just grinding thin and leaving it clamped flat for a long time, a week or so, take the clamps off and let it be a few weeks and see if it starts to bend again. If that doesnt work then i try soaking and reclamping and let it be a month or so and that usually gets it close enough i can hit it with the disk grinder and get a flat surface.

Beautiful knife, Stefan. I do have a nice tusk that I am saving for something nice some day.

Have you tried any straightening techniques? Straightening/flattening horn used to be frequently done but it seems the various techniques are becoming sort of a lost art. I would try heating or soaking in vinegar. I can straightened cow bone by just grinding thin and leaving it clamped flat for a long time, a week or so, take the clamps off and let it be a few weeks and see if it starts to bend again. If that doesnt work then i try soaking and reclamping and let it be a month or so and that usually gets it close enough i can hit it with the disk grinder and get a flat surface.

Horn and bone can be straightened and flattened, but as far as I know, this can not be done with ivory.

Back