You know what grinds my gears?

Edwardshandmadeknives

I’ve been making knives a long long time now. I think I started in ‘92. Over the years I have bought about a billion dollars worth of equipment. I’ve broken more knives for testing than most people have ever owned. Volumes of books on metallurgy have been read, techniques for jewelry, woodworking, leather working, have been learned. After everything I have done to get to this point, I can make an amazing knife that my younger self couldn’t imagine coming from my shop. All that, and you put it out there on the internet and the next day your inbox is full of haters saying “why is that knife $300? That’s way too much!” That really grinds my gears. Anyway, that’s enough ranting from me. Have a wonderful Easter everyone.

I don't think people realize the time and effort that goes into making a knife, let alone the startup cost in machinery. Then you add the raw materials and consumables, and it gets quite expensive.

I did a step by step posting of making a knife from start to finish on Facebook. All my Facebook friends were amazed at how many steps it took to get a finished knife. Some people still don't get it. I have old friends and distant family still asking for a free knife...

Next time someone asks for a free knife I think I'll send them a piece of scrap steel and a block of wood and wish them luck!

People who don't understand the value of handmade is why I raised my prices. When I was cheap, that's who wanted knives from me. When I started raising prices to actually cover my costs, most of those people went away but I still got inquiries from tire kickers. It wasn't until I raised my prices to what I thought was expensive that I got rid of the time wasters and the cheapskates who want a deal more than they actually want the thing they're buying. Once I started getting a little lump in my throat when I quoted a price, I found myself surrounded by an entirely different class of customer who heard the price and responded with, "Oh, and I want another one for my... Can you do that?"

People who don't understand the value of handmade is why I raised my prices. When I was cheap, that's who wanted knives from me. When I started raising prices to actually cover my costs, most of those people went away but I still got inquiries from tire kickers. It wasn't until I raised my prices to what I thought was expensive that I got rid of the time wasters and the cheapskates who want a deal more than they actually want the thing they're buying. Once I started getting a little lump in my throat when I quoted a price, I found myself surrounded by an entirely different class of customer who heard the price and responded with, "Oh, and I want another one for my... Can you do that?"
You know, I’m honestly considering doing just that.

Back