Yew Wood for Scales

Entropy762

Hey guys. A guy that I work with offered me some yew wood for knife handles. Has anyone used yew for handles? I've never have seen yew wood.

Jake

Meh....yew isn't a particularly pretty wood, at least not to me. I have a couple of self bows made out of yew and it's sort of a light mustard color. That of course is my opinion. It has a really long and straight grain which would make it great for stabilizing or dying I think.

Well the guy that has the wood has a couple of logs of it. He got it during the yew bark craze in the late 90's and planned to make a couple of bows. Apparently this wood has a light yellowish color with a red heart wood. He says it looks good and since it was offered to me I think I'll get a couple of pieces from him.

Jake

Knife handles are small, generally speaking, a lot needs to be going on in a small area to make an interesting handle. Yew wood, IMHO, is pretty boring. The finished knife will reflect exactly what you put into it. On the other hand, the price is right. Have fun, be safe.

Back