"X" model Friction Folder - first one in wood

Kroo

KNIFE MAKER
I am not sure if I've shown you guys this one before. It came about as an adaptation of a custom design I did for a client.

Apart from the original knife, which had a different blade profile and layout, this is the first one in wooden scales. All the others were done in micarta, normally with a color coded clip, also in micarta, like these few below:
yPXfBg9AjInSS-uH77_VQZW1LI9Kcn5lbq8lBXTx_jo=w295-h221-p-no
e--sKAvzB4fVoTZrGa2cI9XgIXmoJ7eeLz-MCE1T93U=w295-h221-p-no
WfdzkLzs_fMsxMQrOUbm4PxjoO6OKUCLbiLd_YwRMQw=w295-h221-p-no

This one has no clip and is in the more "traditional" or "classic" wood and metal construction...
Blade is 2.8" long from satin finished 1/8th N690, liners are 304 stainless steel, as are all the screws and pins, scales are African Black Chacate. OAL open is 6.68", knife is just about the same width as my UKPK, so nice and slim. Weighs in at 2.28 Oz (65 grams).

Some pics:

dAm2XN65pLJuAnq0hBXNjLcKVolTtxH8c5YdREciqYo=w295-h221-p-no
5MbIlh239JZQAXLob9VHOSfIK1bpSinogBZ1NPCaZ6M=w295-h221-p-no
r-jOviQbymNhbIBiBVCHH5-PVps2cwzt7wE2oQtSSt8=w276-h207-p-no

I like it! That wood looks great and I like the way the blade blends in with the profile of the scales when closed. Does the lanyard tube go all the through or is it two separate parts, one for each scale? Just wondering if you can take it apart.

Thank you for the kind words about the knife and the design :D In this particular instance the lanyard tube goes right through, even though the rest is designed to come apart - in other cases I have installed the tube in two parts, meeting in the middle of the spacer/stand off, so that the knife can easily be taken apart.

Hi Justin, the pocket clips work well - they are obviously not as robust as something like stainless steel would be and they have a different kind of spring memory, but for EDC use they are fine - I've not had a problem on any yet. It's not something I'd put on a military spec knife, but for every day carry around the town or farm they work well.

Hi Justin, the pocket clips work well - they are obviously not as robust as something like stainless steel would be and they have a different kind of spring memory, but for EDC use they are fine - I've not had a problem on any yet. It's not something I'd put on a military spec knife, but for every day carry around the town or farm they work well.
Thanks for the info Kroo. Now I want to make one!

Last edited:
Back