Wrought Iron Question

Casey Brown

So, I've really liked the looks of some of the wrought iron guards that I have seen some people use. It looks really cool when etched. However, here's my question. Do you re-forge the wrought iron before you use it for your guard. I cut a piece and started slotting it for a guard, and noticed after a lot of work, that the piece had a crack running down the middle of the piece I cut. Due to the fibrous nature of the wrought iron, I'm assuming this could always be and issue on really old pieces. Do I try to basically do a quick forge weld of the piece to make sure that it is solid, before I try using it as a guard?

I'm not an expert but it depends how refined it is to begin with. I believe there is like 3 or 4 different kinds.. The more refined it is the less cool it will look when it is etched. If I can remember correctly cool looking etched wrought iron comes from old wagon wheels, which is normally not that refined. Then there is old anchor chains that is usually so refined when you etch it you don't get that cool effect. If the stuff you have is falling apart you can refine it and forge weld it back together. Don't forge it at anything below a yellow heat or it will fall apart. Also forge welding temps are higher then mild steel.

One of wrought iron's most sought attributes, is also it's biggest drawback.... the silicon slag/fibers that run through it. It makes for an unmistakable appearance, but it also cause gaps, splits, void, etc. Most of the time, unless it is reforged/welded, the finished product will show voids/gaps. On the other hand, when you do refine it via forge welding, you loose a lot of it's character. It often boils down to using it without reforging, and embracing the flaws..... or reforging it, and it looks no different then mild steel hardware. For most, wrought on knives tends to be a love, hate thing..... personally, I'm on the hate side, simple because wrought's character doesn't go with the refinement level I want in my knives.

Hey, Ed! Thanks for the reply. I was going at it from a creativity stand point (and it's kind of soft to file). I had made a fighter style W2 hidden tang blade with a clay hamon, and was going to put an African Blackwood handle on it. I thought that the etched pattern lines on the guard would make an interesting mix with the dark lines of the African Blackwood, and the hamon lines. Still working on what my style will be. I know we talked about W2 at the Blade Show. I'm in a love/hate relationship right now with the hamon's. Love the look. The heat treat is not a guarantee in the forge, though! Hope you are feeling better.

Can someone post pictures of wrought iron that has been etched please!
Sounds like it would be something I might be interested in.
Thanks.

Back