Wow! Have you tried the super glue trick?

Self Made Knives

I heard about super glue work holding a while back, but hadn't tried until just now. Holy cow! This is a game changer! Basic idea is you put painters tape on the back of your part, and then put tape on the table. You then super glue the part down on the table, the glue stays between the painters tape.

I just took some found cow bone and got one flat side with a disk sander. Used super glue trick and milled the other rough side flat and smooth. Worked awesome, even with an aggressive cut. Very strong holding, yet popped right off when done. Try it!

Resized_20180728_163220.jpeg

this is awesome! i’m working with horn for the first time and needed to flatten it. I went knifemaker-style and sanded it like i used to do my wood scales. this looks like a much better way.

this is awesome! i’m working with horn for the first time and needed to flatten it. I went knifemaker-style and sanded it like i used to do my wood scales. this looks like a much better way.
Knifemaker style on bone/horn is a mess. The dust and the smell makes it a miserable material, but milling it made no noticeable dust in the air and no smell! I got 2 flat bone scales in a short time and much flatter and parallel than I could ever get on the grinder. If you have a mill or a belt surface grinder, this opens up a lot of options.

Interesting. I use ca glue directly on parts and pieces, but never thought about incorporating tape.

Now that you mention it, it’s kind of a “why didn’t I think of that” idea. I’ll have to give it a shot!

Back