working with mammoth tooth

Holland Bramlitt

I am working with mammoth teeth for the first time and have a few questions. First I was profiling the outline of my liners and the edges were chipping do I need to go to a finer grit or do something else. And does this stuff shrink and crack like ivory. I really like the looks of the the teeth and want to start using it more. Thanks in advance for any info

Thank You for asking these questions. I have been having those exact issues as well. I will be anxiously awaiting advice on this thread

In regards to mammoth tooth, superglue is your friend!! Use it to fill the chips and the surface to prevent cracking. Also a backing helps greatly to prevent cracking along the strata.

Regards,
Steve

If you haven't seen this already check it out:

http://KnifeDogs.com/showthread.php?18746-MDA-Slipjoint-WIP

The stuff is crazy brittle. I would say that it does shrink as well. The problem that I have the most is the alternating hard and soft spots. Drilling it is difficult because the drill tends to walk into the softer material. It does chip very easily. Best to back it with fiber spacer material before you start. I don't seem to have any problems sanding it or grinding it. It just stinks.

I have never had it shrink on any of the many handles I have used. Coat all srfaces you will be working on with crazy glue to help keep it together.Yes, backing of say .020 micarta is highly recommended and even to begin with the side you will be grinding on if you will be drilling holes through. As well, sharp carbide bits are best turning fast with very little down pressure and some cutting fluid of course. Those hard and soft layers will want you to drill holes curved to a side. The belts to use on mammoth teeth are silicon carbide. 120 is a good course size to start with. 60 grit blaze belts don't work with a darn on this stuff. Frank

Back