Wood worker to make a pony?

80437216.jpg

I can't see anything at that link, but I have 2 of these made by my father in law. :biggrin: :9: :lol:

Last edited:
If I can get my hands on one, I would be willing to try it. I have been told I am good with wood. Send me a note and we will talk. James Clair, Archer Moon.

Chef, if archer can't get you fixed up. Bob Douglas in Sheridan Wy sells a stitching pony, he's a good guy to know as he deals in vintage leather tool and also supplys lots of new one built like the vintage ones. I'm not sure if he has a web site but if you need it I can email you a phone number.

Chef, if archer can't get you fixed up. Bob Douglas in Sheridan Wy sells a stitching pony, he's a good guy to know as he deals in vintage leather tool and also supplys lots of new one built like the vintage ones. I'm not sure if he has a web site but if you need it I can email you a phone number.

I have herd about his work but have never seen any, wish he had a sight or gallery? Do you know if he has a catalog? Any info on him would be nice, I here his tools are top notch.

Morning Chef, sorry I'm late getting back to you. Bob has a small pamplet with his new tools on it, I believe the pony is on it. The vintage tools are to numerous to list and it's better to call him. He goes to lots of trade shows with his tools and it's nice to look at all the tools he's refurbished and offers. He's helped me with a few tools I've had that I didn't have a clue what they were used for.

I'm hunting for the state this winter so may not check in real often. I'll get you his info today and send it. Robin

Well after a few months of trying to find someone to make one for me, with little to no luck. I settled on making one for myself. It didn't come out half bad but I don't think I'll be taking up woodworking as a new hobby anytime soon.
d668fd23.png

ecff187f.png

710fcfab.png

That is a super nice pony Chief! The only thing I see about it is you might have a problem hooking your thread on the long handle and screw sticking out. Although not as classy looking as yours I use a carriage bolt with a wing nut on the end and I have a thin strip of leather that hangs down over the wing nut.

I use a carriage bolt with a wing nut on the end and I have a thin strip of leather that hangs down over the wing nut.
Hay Cliff that's a great idea I'll give that a try your right about the thread getting hooked that's the same problem I had with trying to use a vice and plywood it holds good but the thread gets caught on the bar.

I had that problem forever until one day I decided to add the thin strip of leather, make it long enough where you can tuck it between your leg a bit so there is no way the thread will tangle on it.

I was thinking by making it long that it would be easer to keep the strings on one side so they would not get hooked. I have yet to try it out so if they stll get hooked I'll try your approach, thanks

Back