Wood question

wall e

Has any one seen this in a natural piece of wood?
I cut up some oak that I acquired from moms front yard. It was a dead and rotten topped oak and have found 3 bugs in it so far. Lol
I and my family are all wowed by the stream of pinks running through this piece.

eda02645e08cb3abaf455e6d34115fb2.jpg

My best guess is that it would be due to fungal growth in the dead wood. I think that if you wanted to use it as handle material you should follow the suggestion that you stabilize them as the wood may be too soft without it.

Doug

It is still solid it appears, feels,weighs and, most importantly cut like solid sap wood.

I've seen some pretty funky colors in wet wood, that go away when they are dried. I had a customer bring me some pieces of hickory that had coloring similar to yours, but more vibrant. He thought I could use it for handles. I cut it up and let it dry for a few months. All of the color disappeared, and it ended up in the fireplace. At least I got free firewood out of the deal.

Ok thanks for the heads up Jess. Am hoping the color stays but will see what nature says.

cut to size, sand smooth, and finish with some water based polyurethane. when ready to use as scales, sand finish off one side. should hold up ok.
scott

You often see that pink to red color in box elder wood. They call it "Flame Figured" I guess to describe the color and pattern. I can't remember for sure if it's caused by a beetle or a disease. If the wood is old and dry, the color will likely stay. If it's still a little green, it might disappear when it dries as Jess suggests. Slab it, dry it, stabilize it, and enjoy it!

It was home to 3 adult and 2 beetle larvae. So am thinking thats part of it. It is dry ish don't have a moisture meter yet.

Sweet so it may fade a little from where it is now but probably not much.
Thanks rmbonham.

Back