Wood ID? Hawaiian Mystery Wood

Burl Source

Forum Owner & Moderator
A guy who I get Hawaiian woods from sometimes sent me an unusual piece of wood today.
It was a chunk that had been split off of a log with the cut parts showing burn marks from the blade.
The piece was no bigger than 7" x 4" x 5" and felt like I was holding a rock.
The split surfaces were like a washboard so I knew there was something good inside.
In the end I was able to get one small and one normal sized block.
hw001_zpsfc2f8feb.jpg

The block on the scale is about 6&1/2" x 1&5/8" x 1&1/8"
hw003_zps77992b6b.jpg

I don't know what kind of wood this is.
Cutting the wood was tougher than cutting ironwood. It had a spicy smell when I was cutting. Kind of like Ringed Gidgee.

So.....does anyone here know what it is?
I left a message on voice mail and am waiting to hear back so I can ask the guy who sent it to me.

Well that looks like Koa to me. It's fairly heavy & hard.
The ridges you describe are very common in it.
The would use it for their out Rigger Canoes. There are other hards in the islands these days? Put it against a piece of non-stabilized koa and match the weight as close as you can?
If you don't like it you are welcome to sent it to me for further inspection!:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Absolutely not Koa. The weight is about double. Almost positive it is not an Acacia.
Still waiting to hear back from Hawaii but it is looking like it might be Kiawe, Hawaiian Mesquite.

I just got through on the phone to Hawaii. The wood is Kiawe.
I was told it is Hawaii's version of mesquite. Most gets cut up to use for smoking meat.
My guy in Hawaii told me he doesn't cut this type of wood but he got this piece from a friend who does.
When he saw the curl on the exterior he thought I would like it.
Now he is going to keep his eyes open and also have his friend look for the really curly stump pieces.

Good article Laurence.
Now I see why my friend doesn't cut this stuff. Killer thorns.
He said this was an odd piece.
I have cut some of this wood before but it was redder in color and only medium curl.

Back