Wood Addiction

Gahagan

How do you overcome this wood addiction? I have spent over $3000 in the last year on wood. I have over 300lbs of differnt types of wood and other handle materials (but mostly wood). Everytime I see something that catches my eye I buy it. i cant stop myself. Anyone else have this issue?:biggrin:

Hass; Randy hass he is a wood junkie just call him you could have that stash sold over night :) He has a thread started all ready same topic are you two brothers? Pics or you dont have it ha ha randy will want to see the wood.

Yeah, I kind of have the same issue. I use to buy finished blocks, but now I enjoy hunting for burls and figured wood. This week I found a supplier of quality, maple, cherry, birch and walnut. I bought a bunch this week and spend 8 hours cutting up blocks and scales. My little Jet bandsaw did a great job, but a bigger saw would have been really nice. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a bunch of burl.

How do you overcome this wood addiction? I have spent over $3000 in the last year on wood. I have over 300lbs of differnt types of wood and other handle materials (but mostly wood). Everytime I see something that catches my eye I buy it. i cant stop myself. Anyone else have this issue?:biggrin:

Hass; Randy hass he is a wood junkie just call him you could have that stash sold over night :) He has a thread started all ready same topic are you two brothers? Pics or you dont have it ha ha randy will want to see the wood.

LMAO! Yep. Were brothers from another mother! ;) Im a wood Junkie! And lovin it!

After suffering for 3 years I rarely have the problem anymore. Ran out of storage space. On the other hand while in NC last week I purchased about another $200 worth of cut offs at $3.50 a pound. See I'm over it.

Got to now meeting with an ABS group that has found a curly maple supplier and we're going by there at lunch today. Yep I'm over it.

I normally buy bowl blanks and cut the scales myself. Doing this, I have some really nice burl scales that only cost me about $3 a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, bowl blanks and turning squares can be a good value. I bought a burl clock at Goodwill. It was a foot in diameter and had 1/4" of poly on it but I cut it up and got 3 nice Buckeye burl pieces from it. Don't pass by those 1970's shiny wood clocks at the rummage sales.

I inherited at least a 1000 board feet of rough cut walnut, oak, cottonwood, cedar, hackberry, maple, etc. etc. etc.

I am with all of you. I just need time to go through it all, select the nice stuff, and make knifes from the scales/blocks.

I have enough to last me a lifetime or so. H

owever, every time I see some nice stuff for sale, or something that I do not have, my inner child searches for the wallet. I need help.

FYI: Wood junkie meeting starts at 7:00 pm. New members need to bring the snacks and drinks.

DeMo

My addiction began while working for a custom rifle company. The gateway drug of choice for me was turkish walnut, and ever since I saw the crotch pattern and fiddleback in that first rifle stock, I've been addicted ever since. I have to do two lines of walnut sawdust in the morning just to get started.

This was my haul today. Three cherry burls and a maple burl. Does anyone know if burls will hold up to kiln drying? I was thinking of cutting this stuff into slabs and bringing it to our local mill to have them dry it. I just don't have the patience to wait for this stuff!!:biggrin:

Yes alot of mine is rough cut blocks that I then cut into blocks and sent off to stabilize. I found that it is much cheaper that way.

i have about about 100 pounds of wood i have gathered over the last few years. most is from the curb or wood pile. dogwood, spalted maple, oak burl, spalted oak. then there is the piece of koa i brought back as carry on because it would not fit in suitcase. then the stack of black walnut cut offs. got tired of looking at most of it and turned them into spoons, spatulas, and cutting boards. it is better than Christmas morning to split open a log or burl and see what is inside.

This was my haul today. Three cherry burls and a maple burl. Does anyone know if burls will hold up to kiln drying? I was thinking of cutting this stuff into slabs and bringing it to our local mill to have them dry it. I just don't have the patience to wait for this stuff!!:biggrin:

You could send them to me and I'll dry them for you.:nothing: Seriously I am a wood junkie as well I started as a wood turner many years ago and then to making tools and then the knife addition started. One of the products I used is "Pentacryl Wood Stabilizer", if you cut your scales and soak them per the directions you can get them stabilized in about two to three weeks. I'm still a wood turner and always looking for green wood, if I do come across something interesting for a bowl or platter I always try to get a few pieces for scales since it will be turned into curlies anyway.

Back