Wire Demascus blank

Gliden07

Went over to my Friends today he has a 25LB Little GIANT power hammer. I ordered some cable from USA Knife Maker (Thanks Tracy) and a really cool shirt. Anyway my buddy showed me how to forge weld and between the 2 of us we made this blade blank out of one of the pieces of cable. Not bad for the first official blade from the Power Hammer.IMG_20180512_4895.jpg

Last edited:
I'll tell you guys that 25LB Little Giant Power Hammer hits pretty hard!! I can't imagine a 50lb or bigger hammer!!

Last edited:
Maybe I don't conform to the general run of knife makers but I much prefer the subtle pattern of the wire rope Damascus to the high contrast and extreme patterns of much of the pattern welded Damascus that many examples show. To my mind and eye the subtlety of the wire rope knife still allows for the knife design to be the prominent factor in the visual, rather than outlandish or brash pattern of some of the pattern welded blades that can be a distraction from the overall beauty that a good design will bring to a knife. Maybe it is the conservative in me but like many other aspects of our preferences I have found that loud and overly flash is not for me.

Did you give it a twist or just hammer it out?

Twisted it on initial heat, clean flux, cook, tap on 4 sides to set weld then did it 2 more times. On 3rd weld got heavier with the hits. Then I beat pretty good on it. Once we drew it out we cut and folded it 4 times.

What dia cable did you start with. Being round with a lot of space between the wire did it forge down small?

It was .68 diameter on start. It forged down to about 1/2" x 1/2". That's where this shape came from. Should have made the whole billet a bit wider. Or used a larger diameter cable. But for my first ever forge weld and Wire Demascus Billet it was ok! The hammer is just a blast to work with!!

Last edited:
Back