WIP/What's wrong

Tune_up

First off, I am new to knife making. I realize I should probably make the same knife over and over until my skills are better but that would be boring. Each knife I am working on I have tried to do something new/different for me.
This knife started of as a piece of damascus (haven;t worked with) from Ironarms. When I bought it I had a big fighter in mind (largest knife attempted). I had a large piece of stag to use, first time using stag, first hidden tang. I have roughly fit the guard (first guard) and handle but I don't like the way it looks, I think the stag is to large but thought I would get input from the forum. Is it too big? How much can I shape the stag without ruining it?
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/tune_up5/_DSC5306-copy.jpg
_DSC5306-copy.jpg

I have a couple of very nice blocks that would make a great handle and I could shape those. Also wouldn't have to use a butt cap which I'm a little concerned about. What do you think? Michae

Last edited:
Michael,
You're right, it does look a bit clunky.
Can't tell from the pic how big anything is. Unless that's a really thick walled roll, you probably won't have much more than 3/16" all around before you get into hazardous territory. Grinding down the front at the guard will make it even harder to get flow in the handle without losing the whole surface of the stag. You're better off buying tapers that can be cut/adjusted to your ricasso for more pleasing visual lines. If a roll is bigger than 1- 1/4" I'll cut it into scales. Try and get tapers that start around 3/4" at the small end and are over 5" long so there's room for adjustment.

Rudy

How about grinding off the top of the guard until it's flush with the antler? I would make the sides flush with the antler also.

- Paul Meske

Rudy, Yep, too big, 1.25x1.5" on the small end, just short of 5" long. I think I'll follow your example and cut them into scales and use them elsewhere. Now back to the planning stage.
LonePine, I plan to decrease the size of the guard, just left it large so I had extra to work with. I'll try to make it blend better with the handle.
Thanks for your input. Michael

Michael,
It's always a good idea to start with a plan. I make a drawing as most of us do of what we envision the knife will be. then you can start to incorporate the materials you have available or buy what you'll need. There's always some tweeking but for the most part you follow the plan.

Rudy

1 1/2 inch in diameter is going to be a to be a fist full which is a bigger problem than looking too large. It may make the knife hard to control. The shape of the guard, as far as I can see is fine but I would make it about 2/3-3/4 as thick. To eliminate the gap you are just going to have to slowly remove material on the high side while keeping it level in two planes.

Doug

I looked at a lot of knife pictures and couldn't fine any where the lower front part of the handle was lower than the ricazzo, even with a guard/bolster. That's why it didn't look right to me but I wasn't smart enough to realize. Thanks, Michael

There are numerous ways to shape stag no one way is right. India stag has a very small pith at its center it is meant to be shaped.

I have learned the most when I tried something new and it did not turn out as I thought it would.

Have fun, Fred
afc.jpg

moonstag_jpg+003.jpg

amc.jpg

Back