Why run buffers so fast?

Tune_up

I have heard repeatedlly that the most dangerous machine in a knife shop is the buffer, and I believe it. But why does a buffer need to run at 3600 rpm? I am currently using my drill press with a 6" buff running at ~700 rpm, it takes a couple of minutes (or more) to buff a blade but I don't think at this speed it would throw the knife with much force if at all (I have not tried to buff in a manner that would cause this). I realize that what takes a couple of seconds on a real buffer and a 10+" buff takes me minutes but isn't the saftey worth the extra time? Now I am not advocating using a drill press as a substitute for a buffer but wouldn't a 1700 rpm motor make a safer alternative?

I have NO experience with a buffer and would like an alternative to using my drill press but after hearing some stories about buffers I am a little gun shy.

Rod Nielsen glues bathroom mat to one of his interchangable disks. I have one and it is great. Because you are working on the side the buff does not tend to grab and because we are using 1 hp motors with a VFD we can control the speed. For those who use disk grinders this should replace buffers, matter of fact I am trying to sell all of my buffers and bench grinders. In this situation you can replace 3 machines with one. Be safer, have more usefull equipment and free up space.

Back