Who knows what this is?(WIP Live)

Chris - is the plan to split the angle iron for the two outside layers with the high carbon in middle? How long is it? You plan to weld a rod to end for holding? I don't have a wire welder and use a stick welder. The San Mai billet I made yesterday I welded with 6013 rods. I'll be watching this.

Chris - is the plan to split the angle iron for the two outside layers with the high carbon in middle? How long is it? You plan to weld a rod to end for holding? I don't have a wire welder and use a stick welder. The San Mai billet I made yesterday I welded with 6013 rods. I'll be watching this.
That is the exact plan sir.

Using the term loosley the billet is welded and in the forge for forge welding. That is the limit of my knowledge for the rest of this exercise I have no idea what I am doing.1F11C022-6960-4AA2-A96E-1266624D48F3.jpeg

Seems to be sticking so far but I tacked it together so who knows. I just let it get orange then I hit it until it gets un- orange then back in the forge.

Next thought of doubt that is now in my head is at what point do I reduce heat and forge this like a normal billet?

Holy crap I think it worked!!! The fly press was a bad Idea that late in the game because I think I got it too thin but it looks like it stuck. Will not know for sure until it cools and I grind on it some. Hey I do not care if all I have is a San-mai valve shim if I got it to stick.2189ED66-A39C-4D58-A792-FB80CB1894F3.jpegC2704FA2-683B-4F00-A73F-674D5339D16F.jpeg

Man, I feel like I won a NASCAR race or something. This thing is solid. The verticle marks are leftovers from my fly press so I guess I will dub this Ladder pattern San-Mai. Finished dimensions 1 5/8 x9.5 iver 1/8 thick.A4D4E8D7-AFE8-4FC7-BFC2-FE8137E54CD1.jpeg2E8F03FF-F090-4F3C-ADD5-23D346535BC0.jpeg

Grind a knife-like bevel on both sides of one end to see what you've got as far as pattern and symmetry.

So I could not stand it any longer I went ahead and profiled a knife out of it and got it into HT. I hope to finish grind it later. I am planning to do another billet in the morning. I will go lighter on the fly press tomorrow.

Back