Who is using a HF Metal cutting bandsaw?

Chris Railey

I remember seeing something about being able to use the HF bandsaw vertical. Who is doing this and is it superior enough to a porta-band set up to justify the $175 I will pay for it? Thanks.

I use a Dewalt portaband mounted on a Swag off-road table but a friend has a modified harbor freight and it works great. Thinking about getting one myself

Is it a 4" x 6" type saw? If so, it can be used vertically.

I have a Jet version of that and LOVE it. I use it every single day for something, even non knife making stuff. If it broke today, I'd have a new one by monday.

I made an oversized table for mine.

It is the 4x6. I use a porta band and a swag table now I just found a deal on the 4x6 I could snag in the $150-$175 range so I was considering getting it.

Get the saw. I'll bet you find more use for it than you realize. I didn't realize how often I would use one until I got it. I've used it in the vertical position with a large table, but do like the portaband with table better.

I have the hf metal cutting bandsaw and for my needs it’s definitely Superior to a porta band. In my opinion a new table is a must (easy to fab.) and the Factory legs kinda scare me so one of these days I’ll fab up some new angle iron legs.

Last edited:
I use the hf saw. Having nothing to compare it to it's ok. Pretty small table ( I'm about to rectify that real soon). I use after market blades (the bimetal kind). Meets my meager needs just fine.I'd say ok to buy.

I don't have the HF version but an older but exactly the same off brand. Simple and works. I do wish I had a bit more adjustability in the guides. But it works.

The only drawback to this style is the throat depth. If you buy bigger pieces of steel like 6" or 12" width and 2' length because there's so much less waste, you have to be sure you lay out your cuts so you're take off of the left hand side first. You can't cut through the center of the sheet or from the right.

I started with a portaband and went to the 4x6. The 4x6 is nice because you can sit on it and really lean into it when you need to. The portaband is great because you can stow it somewhere when you’re not using it. Either one gets the job done.

dare I say I have a knock off Horrible Freight saw . It’s a 30 year old Taiwanese saw. Like others have said, you can make a bigger table, mine is probably 8x8 paper Micarta. When used vertically you have a built in seat, I just use some towels but I know one guy that mounts a motorcycle seat on his

I have the HF bandsaw and Swag quick change Table with the HF foot switch. Its AWESOME for the money! Can't beat the price! I saw it in their recent flyer for $89! You could buy 2-3 of them for the price of 1 of the "BIG BOYS". The one thing you need to do is get some good blades. The ones supplied with the saw are for wood.

I have been using one with swag table as well, I bought it on sale at 89 bucks, get the extended warranty. I have replaced it once already but warranty covered it. It works great otherwise, and get name brand blades. With Harbor Freight power tools always get the warranty.

I use the HF and a Milwaukee blade from HD. i like it alot. I added a 6 x 10 aluminum table to it using the same screws that came with the machine. I just clamp mine to a vise but hopefully someday I’ll, have the ambition to make its own stand.

I used the HF for about a year and it worked fine but at some point I decided I needed an upgrade and went with the DeWalt. A table and a foot switch make it a great shop tool.

I’ve used a HF 4x6 for 20+ years. I am on my second one and this one is at least 15 years old. We use it every day in our shop. The flimsy table has to be replaced with at least 1/4” stock. We have replaced the roller bearings at least once but I see that as expected. I think it might be one of the best bargain tools out there for knife making. If this ever dies, I will be getting another. I also have a SWAG table with Milwaukee saw on it but only use it when the HF is busy.

I remember seeing something about being able to use the HF bandsaw vertical. Who is doing this and is it superior enough to a porta-band set up to justify the $175 I will pay for it? Thanks.
Have had and used the HF bandsaw in a Swag table for almost 3 years now- works perfectly and probably the 2nd most used tool for me (after the 2x72)
Use MK Morse blades from Amazon

I do appreciate all the responses. I should have been more clear. I am talking about the 4x6 horizontal/vertical model. I have a Bauer porta band in a swag table I was just wondering if the 4x6 was better enough to justify owning both.

Back