Who Is Making The Best Drill Press For The Buck??

Diamond G Knives

Looking for a drill press. Stand Up or Table Top doesnt really matter. Who is makeing the best machine for the $$? Whats your favorite drill press??

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Craftsman makes some pretty good bench top at a good price if you watch for the sales. I think I paid around $140 for mine.

Craftsman makes some pretty good bench top at a good price if you watch for the sales. I think I paid around $140 for mine.

Same here. Mine has Black & Decker labels on it but I got it at Sears and can't find any difference between it and the Craftsman one of the same size. I have made a LOT of holes with this thing an no problems so far. Unless you need really high precision, you can get by with an inexpensive drill press and spend a little more on good bits.

If you will need super precision, buy the cheap press anyway for basic hole-punching and save up for a good mini-mill. That's my plan anyway.

Last edited:
I have a Rigid. When I bought it, it seemed to be the best value (much cheaper than Craftsman for comparable HP etc). It's been good to me; goes down to 300 RPM which is nice for countersinking. The bearings arenot rigid enough to plunge with an end mill (lotsa shakin), however - though this is probably true with most drill presses.

I have a cheap harbor freight "central machinery" or whatever it is with a keyless chuck. I got it on sale for like $40, benchtop model. Yes, it is a cheaper model, but it is good enough... Just be sure to check the table with an indicator.

I think the key here is the keyless chuck. They will run more true and you can also get smaller drills in them if needed.

I have a cheap harbor freight "central machinery" or whatever it is with a keyless chuck. I got it on sale for like $40, benchtop model. Yes, it is a cheaper model, but it is good enough... Just be sure to check the table with an indicator.

I think the key here is the keyless chuck. They will run more true and you can also get smaller drills in them if needed.

yea...+1

I bought a bench top delta last year. The Delta is solid and works great with the small drills I use for folders.

It has a worklight and a swing out tray that are really useful. The built in laser alignment cross is fun to play with but I never got it to match the drill tip perfectly.

ernie

Last edited:
Don't forget to check Craigslist. I got my Rigid Floor model last year for $150 less than new. I would rather have a used good model than a new Harbor Freight model.

I got a shopsmith 10er for free. Its also american HP. The tolerances are amazing, and the chuck is on an untapered 5/8 shaft that you can also fit drums and router collets to. it has a huge 4" throw, very adjustable table and even comes with a fence and disk sander.

Got a Delta 12 speed table top at the Pawn Shop for $80! Seems to be in great shape.

God Bless
Mike

Lucky you. I had one but burned out the motor and now I'm stuck with an overpriced and darn near useless Craftsman. It has too much play and doesn't drill straight, the nut on the spindle drive comes loose, the table wobbles even when in the lock position and it is under-powered but it does have a cool laser. :noway:

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal. I have to sell a few knife scales to add funds to my hobby budget (try to keep it self sustained) but when I do, PC Drill Press is a go.

Thanks.

Ray
I was looking at that very drill press! But Im in a 20x8 conex box so floor space is at a premium. The one I got was just a fluke, was in a pawn shop looking for a vise and ran across it. Seems to have little to no use, was covered in dust, wioed it down and it looks brand new!

So far I got the drill press, band saw (ebay) Vise (new) still looking for a deal on a smaller mig welder then I should be set short term (still want to replace my 9" Beaumont disc grinder!) But the budget is getting smaller and smaller!!!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Back