Which spacer positioning makes knife look more balanced?

Joseph

I'm making a Scandinavian-type knife with a handle of stacked birch-bark sandwiched between 1/4" brass.

something like this:
pic.hand..jpg

I've got some really dark bark that could be used to create some stripes and would like your input as to which you favor.

sym.hand (640x341).jpg
bot.hand (640x343).jpg
top-hand. (640x507).jpg

I kinda like C...the extra stripe at the back seems to counter-balance the extra mass of the finger guard.

I'm also debating if the darker bark should be used at all, an "uncluttered" handle is also very nice.

I'm partial to G myself.
In my own works , it seems that whatever I do up front, divide it in half for the back end. This configuration has gotten the most comments from potential customers. It's tough to know when to stop it from looking too busy and unbalanced.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rudy

I nominate this the best post this week for several reasons...
i vote C

I'm making a Scandinavian-type knife with a handle of stacked birch-bark sandwiched between 1/4" brass.

something like this:
View attachment 41169

I've got some really dark bark that could be used to create some stripes and would like your input as to which you favor.

View attachment 41166
View attachment 41167
View attachment 41168

I kinda like C...the extra stripe at the back seems to counter-balance the extra mass of the finger guard.

I'm also debating if the darker bark should be used at all, an "uncluttered" handle is also very nice.

Fantastic post!

I vote C because to my eye the 2 lines at the butt balance the blade.

I really like the visual balance and uniform look of a or b. I always try for mirror images. have you thought about line in the middle of the handle to give it a point of reference? that might be nice? just my 2 pennies.

Thanks for all the comments thus far guys, it really helps hashing things out with others.

I've also asked for the thoughts of friends and family, and like here, a clear favorite was not to be found.

A buddy's kid said that the non-symmetrical ones "looks like ya didn't have enough dark bark to make the ends the same"...hummm:les:

Since I couldn't get any shop time, I did some more quick doodling:
4444444.jpg

The nerdy side of me really likes the "wasp" effect of the middle ones, but I'm definitely going to go a more standard route.

PS... super nice knife Rudy:thumbup:

I will go along with Rudy and say G. That one he's showing ain't to shabby by any means and he has has sold a few as well for proof. Frank

Thanks for all the comments thus far guys, it really helps hashing things out with others.

I've also asked for the thoughts of friends and family, and like here, a clear favorite was not to be found.

A buddy's kid said that the non-symmetrical ones "looks like ya didn't have enough dark bark to make the ends the same"...hummm:les:

Since I couldn't get any shop time, I did some more quick doodling:
View attachment 41176

The nerdy side of me really likes the "wasp" effect of the middle ones, but I'm definitely going to go a more standard route.

PS... super nice knife Rudy:thumbup:

Joseph,
If your survey shows no clear favorite, Do the wasp or what ever you really like as a signature pattern of your knives. I like those wasp ones the best myself. Thats my 2 cents.

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Thank you Frank and Joseph.
Don't get me wrong, this spacer thing isn't written in stone. The end product kind of talks to you if you draw your designs like I do. If you look at Treeman Knives, he does awsome work with spacers in every configuration. I guess my mind likes structured and balanced guide lines as I think most people do.

Thanks,
Rudy

Thanks again guys.

I got a clearer idea of where I'm going now.

Hope to post some pictures of a completed knife within the next two weeks:biggrin:

Back