which Needle File set to buy?

AJH_Knives

looking for recommendations that wont empty the bank. the harbor freight ones suck, they only last two or three knives..

I'm looking at those Brownell needle files and am seeking a bit of guidance. For our knife work, could someone link to the files that would be best? I'm sure a round and a triangle file would be required, but what cut? #1? #3? I'd like to buy 3 or 4 - "IF" that number would do most of the file work required. OR - would a full set be required?

Are diamond files required for anything other than work on hardened blades? I'd expect 99% of my work to be on pre-hardened blades.

What about this set? http://www.ottofrei.com/Valtitan-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set-7-inch.html

Thanks for any guidance,

Ken H>

Last edited:
Thanks for all the links Mark - LOTS of info there. A bit intimidating reading thru all of it and trying to decide what I'll actually use. I'm sorta leaning toward the Grobet Swiss Vallorbe Valtitan 6 Piece Needle File Set 7" for $78 plus $9 shipping. Just not sure if the "#0 - Coarse" or "#2 - Medium" cut set of files would be most suitable for knife work. I would expect the "#00 - Extra Coarse" to be a bit more coarse than needed? That's the type of info I'm seeking.

Thanks again,

Ken H>

Last edited:
IMO, you really want multiple cuts in needle files. At least something coarse for rough work and something smoother for the first step of finishing it. You'll not be very happy trying to clean up all the coarse cuts with just sandpaper.

Ouch!!! Dan, you're telling me I actually "need" to buy two of those sets? the #00 - Extra Coarse and #2 - medium cut? I was hoping something like the #0 - Coarse cut would cut the file work out, then use a bit of fine sandpaper to clean up a bit.

"IF" I were to "start" with a single set, could I "get by" with the #0 - coarse cut with the idea of cleaning up with sandpaper? OR - would it be better to buy 3 files of #0, and 3 of the #2 of the same type? If so, which shapes?

I'm hoping to do some file work on splines and tangs.

Thanks to all for any guidance,

Ken H>

Thanks Mark - that's what I was looking for. Something to guide me step by step, and exactly what files are required. Give me a bit of time to study those, and find the part numbers and I'll be in business:)

Ken

I'm a newbie but I just buy a new set from HF every few knives. They work good until they don't. I try to keep em clean with a file card. Maybe you can narrow down your selection by looking at which HF files you use the most. I tend to use the square, triangle and round ones first - and then use the others as my favorites lose their bite. My biggest use is for widening tang holes in finger guards so the square ones are very handy. I'm sure that whatever you buy will work nicely though, I know that I can never have too many files! Good Luck!

I've struggled with cheap needle files for over a year now. Finally broke down and bought 2 different size sets from Rio Grande. I went for the swiss made F. Dick files. A 6" set and a 4" set.

I can tell you this, from very first glance without taking them out of the package even, there is NO comparison between cheap files and these.......none. Visual inspection alone reveals absolute precision and top notch quality. Then comes the joy of using them. If you think cheap harbor freight files cut good (and they might do okay) wait till you use a set of better files.

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to argue, and it's nothing personal, but harbor freight and other cheap files are nothing more than the bits of scrap metal found on our shop floors compared to good files. Like I said, I've used the cheap ones for a long time. The files are soft, bent, wavy and not parallel and the cutting teeth are uneven, not of uniform size, dull, etc.

If the cheap ones work for you, great. This is not a plug for F. Dick files either. I was just blown away by the precision and quality of these and they work as well as the look. I'll never waste time and money again with set after set after set of junk files.

If you get the chance, invest in some good ones and you won't be sorry.

Back