which is the best way for a new guy

LarryJ

im still reading and listening to everone i havent made my first knife yet but i have a question.
undecided to try my hand at either a forged knife or stock removel using a belt sander.
im guessing the only time you use a forge is when making a damacass blade. or using a forge when tempering the steel. you use a belt sander for other knives. am i close to being right or did i miss it completely?
Hmmmmmmm?

Actually you can make a complete knife by forging. There are tons of forge knife makers on this site. There are a large number of videos on you tube on knife making...check em out.

Welcome Larry J,

You can forge many kinds of carbon steels, O-1, 52100, W-2 & 1084 just to name a few, not just mixing steels to make Damascus/Pattern welded steel. You can Forge stainless steels also but that is a lot more difficult.

I grind all of my knives these days and use stainless. I would suggest starting with a piece of 440C stainless or 1084 Carbon and a set of files. Make a few with files and paper to see how you like it before investing in tools etc..

I started with used files from garage sales and lots of sandpaper!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

LarryJ,

The answer to this question is heavily dependant on the individual situation.

Forging is another skillset that also requires and additional tool set. It's a great way to make blades and alot of fun but most all forged blades are also ground on a belt grinder. It takes some SERIOUS forging skills to forge a blade very closely to finished dimensions. There's alot of folks who can forge like that and they typically have many years experience.

I was also interested in forging from the begining but chose to get started making stock removal knives first before taking up forging and that has served me well I think. If you found a local forger who was willing to teach you some things you could get a fine start that way. Many great makers have done this.

One of the best things to do is find a knifemaking mentor to assist you in your knifemaking efforts.

-Josh

LarryJ, I was right where you are a few months ago. My advice is to start with stock removal first, and that means a belt sander and a band saw(metal cutting) if you can swing it. Harbor freight has one for about $250, that is what I use so far. Start with some mild steel(1018) first and learn to use your tools, whatever they are. Shape and profile and grind a few knives with cheap steel first, you cant harden it, but you need to develop your technique first before you spend the cash on good steel. Be patient, you are gonna go through some belts and stuff, but there is no short cut, I have found that grinding the blade takes skill and you have to learn it. Once you are happy with your practice knives, then get some 1084 from aldo's. It works easy and with a small forge and some studying you can heat treat yourself. Educate yourself on the types of steel and what is required to harden it. Some are very complicated, some are not. That is time well spent in my opinion. You did the smart thing coming here first, way smarter than me, lol. All these folks on here are friendly, encouraging and helpful, I cant stress that enough. Look and read every thread you can, even if you dont think it applies to you right now. This forum is the MIT of knife making, there is no better source of info and help. Jump in man, and have fun! cheers,

-sd

I have little experience but I intend to forge and grind. I think it depends on the steel you use but I reckon you can try forging with a barbeque, RSJ and a hammer to see what you think of it. I reckon it's always best to know how to do both and then see where you go from there.

I forge all of my knives. Then soak over night in white vinigar. When I then do the grinding I take off less than a 32d of an inch of metal. I forge the shape and the bevels. A lot of times I start with a piece of coil spring.

Thanks for all the info guys! is there a book i can buy or aplace on the internet i can look up to see how to heat treat each steel? when i get back to my shop tomorrow i will look in my machinest book, it might tell me. running a welding shop i have plenty of scrap metal including coil and leaf springs and plenty of old files. whew aint got to spend any money on steel for a while how can i find out what leaf springs and coil springs are made of? i know they are high carbon steel but unfor sure what it actually is. i know a coil spring make a good chiesl and it hardens good to.

Vinegar is dilute and impure acetic acid. It will soften the scale so that it is easy to wire brush or wipe off. The scale is harder than the steel. By getting rid of it before grinding saves time and belts.

Welcome Larry J,

You can forge many kinds of carbon steels, O-1, 52100, W-2 & 1084 just to name a few, not just mixing steels to make Damascus/Pattern welded steel. You can Forge stainless steels also but that is a lot more difficult.

I grind all of my knives these days and use stainless. I would suggest starting with a piece of 440C stainless or 1084 Carbon and a set of files. Make a few with files and paper to see how you like it before investing in tools etc..

I started with used files from garage sales and lots of sandpaper!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Worked for me:)

Stock removal is the most simple way to get started. Actually nothing is simple when starting out knifemaking. HaHa!! Get yourself a length or two of 1084 and dive right in.

Last edited:
is there a book i can buy or aplace on the internet i can look up to see how to heat treat each steel? .

The search button at the top of this page is a good place to start. I also got a couple of knifemaking books from my local library. Are you anywhere near Troy NC (Montgomery Community College)? There is a meeting there this weekend of the NC custom knifemakers guild.

Britt, i live close to washington nc. i think its about a 4 hour drive to troy nc. when will there be a meetings close to me? i would love to go to meeting sometime

Back