Where to get steel?

akey

I am about to buy some steel and I am not sure where to get it. I want to get 1080 or 1084 but all I can find is hot rolled. Based on previous posts it looks like I should be getting cold rolled annealed but I can't find it any where for a decent price. Is hot rolled really that much harder to work with? If not, I would just get it from the Boss dog here but I would like to find some already annealed for a decent price.

Boss Dog, aka USA Knife Maker Supply, has both of these. The New Jersey Steel Baron has 1084 which is very good for beginners. Alpha Knife Supply has 1080+ which is 1080 with a little chromium and vanadium and also beginner friendly.

Doug

Kelly Cupples:
2807 Butterfield Rd.
Yakima, WA 98901
509-949-5231
octihunter@charter.net

Not sure if it is hot or cold rolled, but I've used it for years and had no difficulties whatsoever. He's also a great guy to deal with, and he used to (and probably still does, but it's been a while since I had to order and I don't want to commit him to anything) provide free shipping on orders over $100.

Doug, thanks for the reply! I would love to get it from Boss Dog if it was annealed or if I knew what needed to be done to hot rolled steel to get it in working shape. I will probably end up going that route anyways. Aldo hasn't had any 1084 in stock for a long time beyond weird sizes. I saw the 1080+ at Alpha but it is too thin. I am looking for 1/8' by 1 1/2".

Travis, thanks for the lead!

all admiral steel has is 1075/1085 hot rolled. 1080+ on Alpha is .110 or so, so close to 1/8" you would need calipers to tell the difference. Security Steel deals in 1084, but minimum length is 144".
the old sailor

Back