Where should i sell my knives

Justin W.

Hey guys I would like to start selling a few more knives so I can upgrade tooling and cover the cost of some of my consumables. I have already sold 5-6 to close friends and family, a few by word of mouth, and then I have sold two knives on my etsy shop. Where do you you guys sell your knives and do you have any tips for me while I am selling mine THANKS!!!!

No I do not. I have put some thought into getting a Facebook page. I have really considered instagram

How do you do private sales on Facebook and instagram without getting scammed. Do you do your sales in person or is there anot her way

I totally agree with Justin. Facebook is basically free advertising and has been the only outlet I have ever used for selling knives.

I started out by posting pics on my personal account. Then I created a separate page for my knives.

“J Wilson Handmade Knives” on FB.

J Wilson Handmade Knives
Just flipped over to FB, (my wife has an account, with my name tied to it) she was trying to win something for a contest is how my name got tied to it!! About the only time I get on their is when her illness makes her unable to!!

So I got to ask a couple of questions from you John.

I have heard that you have to be somewhat evasive to skirt the FB police, IE using private messages to sell and such. Is that true??

Next question do you sell a lot thru FB??

Just flipped over to FB, (my wife has an account, with my name tied to it) she was trying to win something for a contest is how my name got tied to it!! About the only time I get on their is when her illness makes her unable to!!

So I got to ask a couple of questions from you John.

I have heard that you have to be somewhat evasive to skirt the FB police, IE using private messages to sell and such. Is that true??

Next question do you sell a lot thru FB??

Here’s the thing about facebook and selling knives on it. I don’t use facebook as a store or a website. That is a huge mistake that people make. If your posts look like ads people will scroll past.

You need to think of facebook as a newspaper that is constantly moving past the reader. You need to give them a reason to click on your post. The idea is to engage with people. When people engage with your post, that posts keeps popping up. The more people click on it the more it pops back up. Their friends see it, etc. It’s like compound interest. (pun intended)

People like to see how the sausage is made. I post a lot of in-progress pictures. People really like that.

As far as sales go, the sales come to me. I don’t post prices. People see the pictures and messages that I post and they comment on the post. That comment is my chance to start a conversation with them. From there I gauge interest. If someone is a potential buyer, I reach out with private messages and we start talking. Often people send me a message and ask about prices, etc.

That’s the real value of Facebook. It is the perfect way to engage with people and create relationships. A whole lot of my customers are repeat customers.

I don’t have a website. Facebook is all I use and I’ve had a waiting list since the first year I began making knives.

In short, guys- Facebook is entertainment. 99% of people use FB to kill time and they use their phone to do it.

They sit down, open FB and start scrolling until something funny or interesting catches their eye. If they like your page, they get notices when you make a post. That’s what you’re after. You want to engage with people so that they get notifications when you post.

FB is social media. SOCIAL. AS IN...BE SOCIAL! it’s a forum.

Use it the way you treat this KnifeDogs site.

Dang! I need a Facebook page do you do primarily local sales

I don’t do any local sales other than local people who found me on FB. I have no other outlet for selling knives.

I have knives going all over the US, Canada, Korea... wherever people are who I made contact with via FB.

Word of mouth is always good but in my opinion Facebook and Instagram are a must do you use either?

I have had a question about Instagram for a while. I'll try to keep it relatively clean in the way I ask it. I have heard from a lot of people that pretty much say it has become A site for certain adult "images" shall we say. Is that true? Have you had any trouble with that sort of thing?

We use Face Book, Instagram, a web site, and you can sell on sites like this one and Blade Forums. You can also present your knives to local shops, sell at gun shows and bazaars. Do it all.

I'm not sure what this talk about skirting Face Book police is all about. I sell on Face Book all the time, both handle materials and knives. Do the right thing and you don't have to skirt any police. Play by the rules or don't play.

I have had a question about Instagram for a while. I'll try to keep it relatively clean in the way I ask it. I have heard from a lot of people that pretty much say it has become A site for certain adult "images" shall we say. Is that true? Have you had any trouble with that sort of thing?

Instagram used to be known for "Sexting". Now it's more of the new Face Book. You can see anything on there. But, you don't have to see anything you don't want to see.

I noticed the same thing when I first went to Instagram. The more knife, hunting, and fishing pictures that I liked the less those kind of posts showed up. Now they are non-existent.

Back