Whats your pref on steel for fillet knife?

JawJacker

I have searched around already but, what would be your choice for steel on a Fillet knife and why??

Any steel not prone to excessive brittleness can be used. Most folks want stainless for some odd reason... :)

If I were to make one today, I'd use 1084. The type of steel is not nearly as important as heat-treatment and geometry.

My Choice for steel is a good stainless steel such as 440C or CPM-154 and my reasons are excellent corrosion resistance, excellent edge retention along with the ability to have great flexiblity if you want to grind the blade thin.

In my sharpening biz I see a couple of bad cases of neglect every few months of people who put a fillet knife away in the sheath or tackle box with salt water and guts on them. "Yes I charge a little extra for these smelly cases"
The people want me to clean and sharpen a stinky wreck.
Stainless blades fair through this kind of neglect usually far better than a carbon steel blade.

I'm not saying you would intentionally neglect your knife, but if it happens?

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com

It's been awhile but the last time I made a fillet knife I could only find ats34 in 1/16" thickness. Ats 34 is a good steel still.

I made a nice fillet knife for a friend from 12C27. He used it until his wife took it over, now it is a kitchen knife that is used every day.

ernie

I'm making some out of 15N20(customer request) right now. .058 from Aldo's. Will post some pics when I'm further along.

Back