What's your favorite handle material?

Mesquite, Pecan, black Walnut, and Mesquite (yes, I know I said it twice).

I guess I left that one out of my list... Mesquite too! Especially the burled variety! I'm waiting on some nice blocks for hidden tangs right now, that stuff is killer.

My favorite has always been presentation ironwood, sambar a close second. just got some high end presentation french and claro walnut blocks in that may rival the iron wood!! Will post when I get it back from K&G.

God Bless
Mike

Mr. Doyle, if you don't mind me asking, from where do you source your African Blackwood? I've purchased about 50 blocks in 1.5x1.5 x 6-18 in the last 6 months and not one, regardless of grade, has been darker than macassar ebony. Its all from different suppliers and each has told me that their pieces were select grade or better but not ONE has been above average. Zero out of 50 have been black.

Mr. Doyle, if you don't mind me asking, from where do you source your African Blackwood? I've purchased about 50 blocks in 1.5x1.5 x 6-18 in the last 6 months and not one, regardless of grade, has been darker than macassar ebony. Its all from different suppliers and each has told me that their pieces were select grade or better but not ONE has been above average. Zero out of 50 have been black.

I try to buy mine at shows if I can. But it's getting tougher. And the stuff I'm getting lately has been less black than I like. I went to a show in the spring and a dealer there had a whole bunch of blocks rough cut and not stabilized (which is how I prefer my blackwood). I bought every block he had.

Before that I bought some online and I don't remember where but I just googled african blackwood and looked around for the darkest stuff I can find. If I can't see the exact piece I'm buing, I don't buy it.

I know that wasn't very helpful in locating you a source, but as you said, it's getting harder all the time and I have bought any since that show in April.

I try to buy mine at shows if I can. But it's getting tougher. And the stuff I'm getting lately has been less black than I like. I went to a show in the spring and a dealer there had a whole bunch of blocks rough cut and not stabilized (which is how I prefer my blackwood). I bought every block he had.

Before that I bought some online and I don't remember where but I just googled african blackwood and looked around for the darkest stuff I can find. If I can't see the exact piece I'm buing, I don't buy it.

I know that wasn't very helpful in locating you a source, but as you said, it's getting harder all the time and I have bought any since that show in April.

Isn't that the truth! I've had to start using gaboon ebony, and to a degree, I like it much better. The only drawback is its hefty price tag but its still better than using buffalo horn or synthetics when a black piece is required.

Honduran Rosewood Burl, Mammoth Ivory, Birch burl, Cedar burl. Mammoth tooth, cocobolo, Stag, maple burl, Ironwood. Koa, Walnut, blackwood, musk ox horn. ETC...ETC....

Heck, I like so many!! I couldnt really give a Favorite. Natural materials would be my favorite!

Stag. Blackwood and black walnut have been my favorite wood in the past, but I just used a couple of pieces of old Honduran rosewood burl that I picked up last year at the Gator Cutlery Club show and that stuff is SWEET!!!! I hope the guy is back again this year with some more.

Sambar stag is a staple, it always looks good. But I like to experiment, try different finishing techniques, use unusual materials. I used a lot of Brunswick bowling balls for a while, nice colors and tones.
I think box elder that has been dyed produces an almost marble like look that is exciting. Different types of horn out of Africa produces some stunning results.

Bottom line is I like anything I can make look nice.

Another vote for African blackwood! Ebony checks just too easy, and I will never use it again...
I like curly maple, but only if it is rock maple... the other types are just too soft for my taste.
Masur birch, when I can find it. I really like olivewood, too. Briar is another favorite.
Bone, i have a soft spot for bone, and antler of course. Buffalo horn stinks to high heaven, but polishes out so pretty....

I'd like to try some musk ox horn, if I could find any thick enough for a through tang handle... (pm me if you have any... :) )

What do you guys think about the newer material Ctek? I've seen it a couple times and it has gauged my interest. A bit too brittle from what I've seen.

Desert ironwood and curly maple but I also like G10(really like orange and orange/black)..Lots of Burl woods a nice too..Desert ironwood really does it for me though..

So far my favorite materials are micarta and cocobolo. There's just something about cocobolo that draws me to it.

Mammoth ivory, mammoth tooth, the pearls, and for very plain hunting and carry knives I like G10 and carbon fiber. Frank

Back