Whats the point of Titanium blade

Titanium knives became trendy ten or fifteen years ago. Titanium is not great for knives. For a dive knife, or any salt water knife, it will be hard to beat 440C. A dive knife is usually a prybar and a tank knocker more than anything else. I stopped carrying a knife after 300 or so dives because I had never once used it and no matter how I tried to tie it onto my gear it was always in the way and getting snagged. LOL, when I first started diving I had the big dive knife strapped to my calf like I had seen in all of the stupid movies from the 1970s. That was the worst idea ever, just like all of the other stupid Hollywood stuff.

A professional salvage diver needs a knife. Cave, technical, and wreck divers need a knife. Everyone else is better off without one because as a recreational diver you ought not be putting yourself into any situation that would get you tangled up. But if you still want a knife, go with a 440C blade and a rubber handle. I keep a knife in my gear bag, because you always need a knife for repairs and stuff. But it stays in the boat or on the beach where it's useful.

when I first started diving I had the big dive knife strapped to my calf like I had seen in all of the stupid movies from the 1970s. That was the worst idea ever, just like all of the other stupid Hollywood stuff.

You must be reading my mail, pal. :D

A professional salvage diver needs a knife. Cave, technical, and wreck divers need a knife. Everyone else is better off without one because as a recreational diver you ought not be putting yourself into any situation that would get you tangled up.

I did all my diving when I was a kid. It was all recreational. We never did cave diving per se, but we did reef diving that was sort of cave-like. The knife I had was a Scuba-Pro item, like this one. I never used the knife, but I liked having it. If I were to dive now, I don't know what I would do. Probably go without the knife so that I don't look like a ridiculous poser.

In my late teens I dived a few times. I don't recall having a dive knife. I was renting all my equipment and I don't think it came with one. But several other divers had them, mostly for prying up Abalone. I don't think you can take Abalone anymore. So even less of a need.

We ran into some small sharks a couple times. But I would rather have had a bang stick than a knife for them.

IIRC, titanium knives may have been around more than 15 years. The original stated purpose that I heard for for EOD/mine clearing duty because they were non-magnetic. As for the original question what's the point of a titanium knife, its the narrow end opposite the one that has the handle. :p

Back