What's the best way to put a 3/4" hole in a 0.200" thick piece of XHP?

John Barker

SUPERModerator & KNIFE MAKER
As the title says. I want a clean hole. I'm thinking 4 flute standard endmill is the way to go. What about a hole saw? I don't like using drill bits that big, they tend to hang up.
-John

Hello, I do not have a milling machine, but I have used a bi-metal hole saw at slow speed with cutting fluid, well clamped down to cut through ATS-34. It made a pretty clean hole. Probably get one for under twenty bucks and worth a try.
Sincerely,
Sampson Knifeworks

How about a step drill to get you close and finish with a reamer if you need to ?

I like them for thin material as they have only 1 cutting edge, they self centre/pilot themselves.

images

Hole saw if you don't need precision hole. The do make cutters that are like holes saws that are more precise. You could always bore it it out.

I'd set it up in the mill,and drill a 3/8" pilot hole then do the final cut w/ a 3/4" four flute carbide endmill.
Stan

I agree with the 3/8 pilot and the 4 flute end mill. If it is not hardened HSS would be fine. A hole saw would work, but if you have a mill its way better IMHO

I don't even have a guess how many bits I wrecked drilling 1" holes in 3/16 titanium. Those 1" bits were not cheap , but I didn't have access to a mill , it worked but was slow.

Brian,
That's a great suggestion. Then your not limited to one size hole. I guess the hole has to be at least as big as the cutter to start. Thanks.
-John

Back