What Type Of Steel For A Meat Cleaver

Dmac

Guy wants a tricked out meat cleaver for personal use. Whats the best steel for a blade like this? We can make it two ways to answer. Best carbon, and then the best Stainless. Thanks

I imagine a lot of different steels would work fine for a cleaver, I would lean towards steels with good impact resistance and not worry too much about edge-holding. I've made a few out of 5160 in the past. I would suggest using a steel you are comfortable working with, and have experience with.

If 5160 would work that would be great, I did a 9 inch chopper blade in that steel and then worked on a lighter stump with it for a couple of minutes. My friend seen me do it and then ended up buying it. I have only done one stainless (cpm 154) blade so far and didn't get the heat treat right. Thanks for the help. If you would like to see the chopper its on my facebook page. David McCormick, tag friend request with Knife Dog.

Last edited:
dmac:
store bought one i have been using for years is 1095. i have never used it as a knife, but i think S2 or S7 tool steel might make a dandy. both can be hardened to Rc60 and both were designed to used to make chisels, punches, and other items that take a hard hit. i am working on a small one (blade 6" x 2 1/2" x 1/8") using Aldo's 1084.

Depends on what you have on hand!
My favorite would be 5160, holds a great edge and is used in "hard use" type blades such as cleaver or hatchet.

God Bless
Mike

Back