What type of paint recommended to spray on to Kydex ??

FGYT

Hi
as the title
can any body recommend the best type of paint to spray on to Kydex that wont flake off
and can be put thro a hobby spray gun

ATB

Duncan

ok
acrylic model paint seems to work so far

im assuming Dura coat will as well and probably better for out side

I have a bit of experience in this area, through allot of trial and error I found a paint that when properly applied was very durable.
It is a spray paint though so it won't help with the issue of the hobby spray gun.
The paint is Krylon Fusion, it bonds to plastics on a molecular level.
The sheath below is my Tiger/Zebra stripe pattern using the above mentioned paint.

Attachments

• DSCN0985.jpg
    DSCN0985.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 44
I have a bit of experience in this area, through allot of trial and error I found a paint that when properly applied was very durable.
It is a spray paint though so it won't help with the issue of the hobby spray gun.
The paint is Krylon Fusion, it bonds to plastics on a molecular level.
The sheath below is my Tiger/Zebra stripe pattern using the above mentioned paint.

Thanks i had heard of a marker pen years ago that bonded into plastics and hoped they had a paint by now
However i dont think i can get it in the UK

Edit: found some ;)

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/details...ve-drab-camouflage-ultra-flat-spray-paint.htm

I happened to have just read a kydex manufacturer website suggesting the sherwin Williams industrial paint Prolane. This is supposed to be the same as dura coat.

http://www.kydex.com/Uploads/Files/...ief - Painting KYDEX® Thermoplastic Sheet.pdf

Yes I looked at the Kydex site cant find it available in UK

Dura coat is avalible from Germany but at $42 for a 4oz where its $18 in the USA :what!:

I can buy direct from Lauer Weapons but there is a Big postage cost due to flying HAZ Chems

Gun kote is available in UK

the Model paint works nicely for application but durability may be an issue Have put on some stencils and a fairly bad cammo pattern so will test it outside see what happens

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the info guys. I've had a real pain with this and look forward to trying the recommendations.

The cammo isnt quite right it was done free hand with no real planning and the colours Ive got arnt quite right :rolleyes:

the stencil is hand cut after printing my logo onto acetate

the small triangle one I just cut the logo thru a business card

neither is perfect but they proved a point that it works

kydexsten600.jpg

teh other side of the Parang

dpacammo270.jpg

I used Krylon Fusion when refinishing the composite/plastic stock on my deer rifle. The key is plenty of prep. I also used a matte clear for plastics and did several coats to ensure color safety. This was my first camo job. I took stencil frisket and cut my own shapes then painted in layers. I've had the gun out hunting multiple times since then, in rough areas and have had no paint scratches. Just remembered I used some Rustoleum paint as well, it bonds quite well to plastics.

DSCN1767.jpg

DSCN1766.jpg

DSCN1774.jpg

DSCN1773.jpg

another vote for Krylon Fusion spray paint. It is made exactly for this kind of application and it's pretty durable stuff.

I found some Krylon Fusion in UK so have a can of each colour and a couple of black

Cheers

Duncan

As Grizzly stated above, prep is the key, if prepped properly you will have a very tough and durable finish.

Back