What to make a slip joint pattern from?

Daniel Macina

I have plans to make a slip joint soon and would like to make some sort of a Prototype to make sure everything works like it should before using all the nice materials. What would you recommend making the prototype from?

Thanks!

G-10 is a great material to make quick and easy experimental patterns .

Once you have something solid all dialed in, you may want to make hardened steel patterns.

I do believe you can buy many traditional slipjoint pattern sets already figured out and ready to go, although I don't know what they're made of.

G-10 is a great material to make quick and easy experimental patterns .

Once you have something solid all dialed in, you may want to make hardened steel patterns.

I do believe you can buy many traditional slipjoint pattern sets already figured out and ready to go, although I don't know what they're made of.
Thank you sir. If I was intelligent I would definitely get the pattern set already sorted out but Whatever reason I really enjoyed designing this folder so I’m gonna see if I can make my design work right. Nothing unique about it just a Barlow so I should probably just get a design that already works but we’ll see…

Thank you sir. If I was intelligent I would definitely get the pattern set already sorted out but Whatever reason I really enjoyed designing this folder so I’m gonna see if I can make my design work right. Nothing unique about it just a Barlow so I should probably just get a design that already works but we’ll see…

Nothing wrong with that.

Daniel - As a tip, you can find cheap or older slipjoints at pawnshops/sales/online/auctions/etc. Just buy a couple and take them a part. You can get a pattern for a buck or two. You can also see how they work by taking them a part. It is a pretty good start in understanding how to put them together.

Good tip. I will do that as well as pick up some G-10 as John suggested. Hoping to make dad and myself matching pocket knives for Christmas. Kind of a pipe dream but maybe I can make it happen. Have a few other designs after that that I think are kind of unique I’m excited To try.

As always thanks for the help gentlemen!

Good tip. I will do that as well as pick up some G-10 as John suggested. Hoping to make dad and myself matching pocket knives for Christmas. Kind of a pipe dream but maybe I can make it happen. Have a few other designs after that that I think are kind of unique I’m excited To try.

As always thanks for the help gentlemen!
That is a cool reason - dad will like that I guarantee

"Daniel - As a tip, you can find cheap or older slipjoints at pawnshops/sales/online/auctions/etc. Just buy a couple and take them a part."

That's what I did. I took apart a China made Schlage barlow for my pattern, though I lengthened the main blade a bit. I made a pattern out of brass, than made the knife.Barlow1.jpg

Back