What to get first a oven or a grinder?

Coltan D

Hey guys, i have a few knives under my belt and would like to step my game up. Ive been saving up for a HT oven but now I think I would like a grinder instead. I've been using files, a 1x30 belt grinder, and a propane forge. I would like to start working with 440C and I'm not to crazy about sending knives out for HT, since im just a hobbiest and sending one knife is silly. Trust me i would love to do it more but with 3 kids, 2 under 2 and a full time job bladsmithing takes a back seat. So, What should I purchase first to improve my knife making, a belt grinder or a HT oven?

2x72 Grinder for sure.
Ovens don't save you any money for at least a few years if you are part time with low production. They will dramatically speed up production time wise and allow you to complete projects quicker.

Moving from a 1x30 to a 2x72 grinder will change everything for you. Everything.

Any recommendations on what type? I know there are all kinds out there. For now i would just like a nice flat platten with a decent size work rest. I wont need the contact wheels and accessories just yet

What they said. In fact, an oven is the very last thing to get after you have everything else you want. Why? You can send a ton of knives out for heat treat for the cost of an oven. An oven does one single thing- heat treat. A grinder makes you money. A good 2x72 is #1 in the shop, with no close second.

Lots of grinders to choose from, and everybody had their favorite. For years my grinder of choice has been the KMG, and more recently the KMG-TX. https://beaumontmetalworks.com/

Tracy sells them here too: https://usaknifemaker.com/shop-categories/grinders-sanders-all-kinds-c-99/beaumont-grinders.html

No matter which you choose, just make sure that they have been around for a while, and are reputable. There have been a ton of "fly by night" grinders crop up over the past few years, that are nothing more then predators....trying to take advantage of the "Forged in Fire" knifemaking trend.
My advice is to stick with the tried and true machines.....and the people who back them up.....otherwise you WILL be singing the blues when you need service/support, and none is there for you.
If you spend the money on a "top end" grinder, you will never regret it.

As John said so well:
A grinder makes you money. A good 2x72 is #1 in the shop, with no close second.

I'm with the other folks, KMG-TX is a good grinder "if" you've got the budget for it. For around $1k you can use a Reeder chassis, wheels, Iron Horse motor, and Chinese VFD and have a really good top of line grinder (maybe $1100/1200?). If you wish to build, a very good grinder can be built around $700 depending on what tools you've got to build with.

Before we can really offer much guidance, need to know your budget, and do you have 220vac available? OR, only 120 vac. What tools on hand to use? drill press, etc.

Grinder for sure!! I have a Reeder and love it. The newer one has a better Flat Platten than mine. I was gonna contact them to see if I can get the newer style. Other than that GREAT PLATFORM!

Last edited:
I had been getting by with hand tools, bench grinder, and angle grinder and I recently bought a 2x72 (like within the past few months). I have the same time constraints of work and family and I noticed buying a grinder bought me time.

Like John said, an oven does one thing - heats.
A grinder can be used for more than just making knives I refinished a stainless 1911 slide for a guy once, it looked like it was factory finished, he loved it.
and on the light end I once got caught buy the wife sharpening a pencil on it, she was impressed.....I think. :D

I'm with the other folks, KMG-TX is a good grinder "if" you've got the budget for it. For around $1k you can use a Reeder chassis, wheels, Iron Horse motor, and Chinese VFD and have a really good top of line grinder (maybe $1100/1200?). If you wish to build, a very good grinder can be built around $700 depending on what tools you've got to build with.

Before we can really offer much guidance, need to know your budget, and do you have 220vac available? OR, only 120 vac. What tools on hand to use? drill press, etc.
I can run 220 but i prefer just to keep it house power. Around 1000$ for the budget and i have a drill press and most other shop tools.

Like Ken said you can build a good grinder for a lot less than buying one. A few companies actually sell their grinders in kit form. The assembly is pretty straight forward. I would suggest that you go 220 if possible.

I have a Northridge Mod-E which is their economy grinder. I believe $500 shipped for chassis and wheels including a drive wheel, tool arm, and flat platen. My only complaint is it has a spring for tension instead of a gas spring (and that would be easy to replace if you wished) otherwise very good to me so far.

Any links to the companies would be appreciated.

Pretty sure there are others....

Pretty sure there are others....
To have it 220. Have you played with voltage converter?

Friend of mine bought a kit from Polar Bear Forge. Hes real happy with it. Just note this is a "FRAME KIT" You supply all the nuts, bolts, wheels, motor etc... He works at a machine shop so it was easy for him to get all the extras. I bought a multiplatin which I configured the way I wanted. He told me it cost him less than 1K to build it. Depends on your resources I would imagine! Just consider there is a saying on here "BUY ONCE CRY ONCE!". Something to consider. Good luck however you go!

Everyone has a favorite but in truth, the best grinder you know, is the best you have used. So you may do better to listen to those who have used multiple grinders. As for me, I have only used two. A Grizzly Knifemaker (still very useful machine) and a Pheer 454. Google “Pheer grinders” you will find them. A couple of years ago, when I was doing my research Pheer was a good choice for me because I was able to get all the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. Jose’ is a great guy and he is always available to help you even a year later he answers my email questions within 24 hours. Basically he is a one man show so you never have reps or red tape to get through if you need something.

In my opinion the Biggest game changer in upgrading was variable speed. Nothing else has made such a large impact on my quality of work. I mean this, if I could not afford a variable speed grinder, I would save the extra $200-300 it would take before I purchased. I would go for a variable speed drive over a less expensive multiple pulley system. Hope this helps but in the end, its just my opinion.

Back