What steel for Tongs?

Jon Buescher

I want to forge a few different sets of tongs, what type of steel do you guys recommend? I was going to guess 1045 and then see if I can find some 1/2" round or square stock to start with. Any advice please share. I can't see paying $60+ for each set and I think it would be good practice on forging for me

Mild steel would probably be your best bet. No need to get fancy.

Ken's Custom Iron sells pre-cut tong blanks for pretty cheap. Might want to check something like that out.

I agree with Drew that fancy is not required. One piece of advice if you're just starting out is to use rebar to forge tongs. Rebar is cheap and makes practicing making tongs more affordable. I have tong made from rebar when I needed to learn how to make them that I use for removing blades from my heat treat oven.

I agree with the others..... Ken's Iron! I've built a ton of tongs over the years, using 1018 and/or A36, but I can't even buy the raw barstock for what Ken sells the pre-cut blanks for....... I recommend them to most of my students...... it's great forging practice, and they turn out some very good tongs.

Anther plus is that Ken has "how to" videos for all the tong kits he sells.

Back