what size power hammer?

MT Knives

I am looking at getting a power hammer and don't really know what size to get. I would like to get a little giant I will be forging knives but also would like to do some damascus. Do say a 25# have and advantage on control verses say a 50# or 100# I hope this is the right place to post this. Thank You for your input.

I had a 50 lb little giant and liked it. I ve used a 25 lb but found it better for lighter work with allot of control. Many people including myself have sold their hammers and built forging presses. The forging press will do everything the hammer will but also intricate Damascus patterns.

I like my forging press for getting good welds. I then turn to my 100 lb little Giant for drawing out the billet. The hammer knocks off the scale instead of pressing it in. Flat dies in the press also cool the billet very fast and limit what I can do in terms of drawing. I have made some drawing dies for the press that work ok but I like the hammer better.

Control is critical, a brake makes a mechanical hammer much more useful. Being able to deliver a single controlled blow allows one to use special tooling and forge some amazing things. Some air hammers are excellent in this regard. A press can do some interesting things with tools but will be much slower.

Back