What makes a sheath "jumpable?"

jmforge

I have heard this term for some time now and I know that the old Air Force survival knife had the steel tip and Bill Moran's wood lined sheaths were considered "jumpable" back in the day. Most of the ones I see today have some Kydex type material somewhere in them. Is there an actual specific requirement or is it more like"something harder than plain leather or ballistic nylon"? Do the specs vary depending on the type of knife? The impression that I got was that the old Moran wood lined sheaths worked because the knives usually had full guards and the guard, to misuse a firearms term, "headspaced" on the mouth of the sheath and that kept it from punching through the bottom.

Last edited:
From what I understood from jumpmaster school was the sheath had to protect the knife from protruding if landed on as well as secure the knife from falling out during the jump. That was all that was required of it to be jumpable.

Kyle, did you ever have any issues with a nanny CO adding his own "requirements"? That is one of my concerns.
From what I understood from jumpmaster school was the sheath had to protect the knife from protruding if landed on as well as secure the knife from falling out during the jump. That was all that was required of it to be jumpable.

No. All my COs pretty much understood that we were professionals and did not try and undermind our decisions as to waht was acceptable. From what I understand Reg Army has different ideas though. There is always that one CO that has to make it look like he is in charge. But I belive the regulations as I decribed.

Back