what kind of tang is this?

malignity

Is a knife still considered a full tang if you encompass the entire grip around the full tang but don't have the actual tang exposed?

I've currently taken my two grip panels, and have carved an inlay where the entire tang will sit in one of the panels. This is to encompass a thumb rest made from wood without there being a gap between the panels. It's required a tremendous amount of sanding and dremeling to create the inlay, but it should look fantastic when finished. It's almost like a full tang/hidden tang hybrid if that makes sense. Is there a specific name for this style handle/tang?

Thank you!

It would be called a 'mortised' tang. If a different filler material the same thickness as the tang was used to conceal the tang between two handle scales, that would be called a 'framed' handle.

Thank you sir.

I had considered making a framed tang for this as it would have been significantly easier, but I wasn't sure what I'd use as filler. Epoxy putty maybe? The only company I know if that makes it is Loctite though and it isn't very cheap. I suppose I cut cut a sliver of the wood I'm working with and piece it in there, but that isn't necessarily ideal.

I definitely wouldn't use epoxy putty or anything like that for a frame. Steel, some non ferrous metal, g-10 or carbon fiber, maybe even wood in the right instance. But definitely not epoxy.

Something that will disappear and look like a solid enclosure, OR - a contrasting material to make it stand out.

Back