What is the best way to heat treat CPM 154 ?

flatblackcapo

Howdy folks. I am starting to use CPM154 to make some thin paring knives. Can any of you guys share how you HT CPM 154? I did find a thread on heat treating 154cm but I am not sure CPM 154 would be the same. I thank you all for sharing your knowledge and time.

Check AKS.com for some heat treating info.

If you are looking to send the knife (or knives) out, take a look at peters heat treat.

Thanks, I will go check out AKS. I'm not looking to send anything out for HT. I just received my Evenheat KO so I want to play.:9:

HT specs are the same as for 154CM

Expect twice the toughness for the same hardness. Cryo makes a nice difference with both, but they can certainly turn out a fine blade without cryo as well. Don't short-change your soak just because the blades are thin. It isn't about through heating (well maybe a few minutes is). It's about the time required to get the alloy into solution and that is almost the same regardless of thickness.

Lots of recipes to get you there. We normally use double envelope of 309SS foil - start in cold oven (so the rapid expansion doesn't blow up the envelope) - 1950F for 45 minute soak at temp - plate quench in the envelopes - cryo for at least 2 hours (normally overnight) - double temper at 500F for 59/60 or 450F for 60/61. I'm sorry, I can't remember temper numbers without cryo.

Like I said though - lots of ways to get it there. :)

I do fairly similar to Knifemaker.ca I run 1950 for 20 minutes, plate quench, straight into dry ice and kerosene overnight. I usually have to temper around 500-550 to get it down to 60 rc, but I have a tester and usually run the first temper at 450 and use that as a point from which to judge the final tempering temperature.

Hey thanks a lot guys. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get quench plates cheap? Can you use granite slabs or would they explode like rocks in a fire? What about brass?

I ramp to 1450f and hold for 15 minutes, then to 1950 for 25 minutes, plate quench, cool to room temp, cryo in Ln for 8 hours, I would get 63.5 HRC at that point. Then temper 2 hours twice at 450F for 59 to 60HRC.

Granite plates won't work to quench.

Cpm154 can be quenched in oil or even still air. You just need to get it out of the foil quickly.

You just need to get it out of the foil quickly.
At 1950 . I don't think I want to be fiddlin' with the foil :9:
Thanks for the info. It seems like most folks plate quench. So I'm guessing that is for a good reason. I will look around and see if I can find something of my wife's to sell for the dough to buy some nice quench plates. haha

I believe Tracy here at USA Knifemaker Supply sells the plates.
I quench in the aluminum plates on the drill press just until I can handle the envelope with gloves on and snip off one end of the envelope and remove the blade with long nose pliers. Turn the plates over for a cool side and quench again. I have a 25 pound weight I hang on the drill press handle. Works for me.

I believe Tracy here at USA Knifemaker Supply sells the plates.
I quench in the aluminum plates on the drill press just until I can handle the envelope with gloves on and snip off one end of the envelope and remove the blade with long nose pliers. Turn the plates over for a cool side and quench again. I have a 25 pound weight I hang on the drill press handle. Works for me.
All I have for a drill press right now is a HF drill press. I think if I hung a 25lb weight on the handle it would snap it right off haha. Thanks for the lead and for the advice.

flatblackcapo, If I can ask why did you go with the KO model? Im going for a purchase soon would like to know.

flatblackcapo, If I can ask why did you go with the KO model? Im going for a purchase soon would like to know.
I went with the Ko because of the higher temp abilities. The KO will reach 2400* F and the KF will reach 2200*f . I am not sure what steel I might work with in the future so I wanted the widest range of temp I could get . I went with the Evenheat brand because of other knife makers telling me that they have 10 + years with no problems with their Evenheat oven.

Yeah I saw that temp difference, but the interior is smaller also. I had decided on the paragon 24 but several people steered me away. I had sent paragon email asking about the 24. I never was answered, so I think Evenheat is on the menu.

Last edited:
A word of warning, The wait time on my oven was a little over 4 weeks. I do think it is worth the wait. Another thing I did not realize is that the safety switch that comes standard on the KF is a add on with the KO. It is not totally necessary but I do wish I had it on my oven.

Yeah I saw that temp difference, but the interior is smaller also. I had decided on the paragon 24 but several people steered me away. I had sent paragon email asking about the 24. I never was answered, so I think Evenheat is on the menu.

if you have a question on a paragon you can send it us at info.usakms@gmail.com

Back