what is the best grinder out there?

Travis Fry

I've been saving for a new grinder and nearly have enough for what I think I want. My search begs the question though: what is the best grinder there is for knife making? The corollary: what is the best grinder for the money? I encourage all to weigh in, because it will likely influence my decision.

Thanks

Probably as many answers as members on that question.
All I can tell you is that my homemade works as well as my Bader and they both work better than the Grizzly. Even my 1x42 works better than the Griz.

Good luck,
Rudy

Travis, every grinder will think that his is the best, I am no exception.

With a copy of my DVD, "Build Moe's Belt Grinder" for $45.00 you can build this grinder for, probably, less that $1,000.00.
If you don't want to shop around and find all the metal, knobs, springs, bolts, etc. you can buy one of my kits (see my web-site).
Or you can order one of my grinders with everything for $1,750.00 with free shipping in the lower 48 states.

If you are going to build your own grinder or buy one of my grinder kits or another grinder maker's kit, such as Polar Bear's GIB, or a Wilmont Grinder, or a KMG, I can supply your motor and VFD at very favorable pricing.

I suggest that you get your wheels from Tracy at www.USAKnifemaker.com.

I hope that this helps.

The 'best grinder' depends on what you want from a grinder. Maybe make a list of features you want.
  • Pre-made or home made?
  • Dust housing? You'll still use mask etc, but the housing keeps much of the dust out of the air. Dust that you may breathe later on and dust that might PO the significant other,
  • Get three wheel design. Two wheel grinders tend to magnify any vibration, much like the tip of a fishing rod. Two wheel grinders also have different tools at different heights - ie; contact wheel at belly button and platen at chest height. Not good for ergonomics or muscle memory.
  • Adjustments, tool changes etc should all be accomplished with hand wheels / knobs. Tool free is hassle free.
  • Belt changes, tension and tracking should be fast, responsive and stable
  • Its a big price jump, but no-one has ever been sorry they bought variable speed.
  • Easy switching to a selection of contact wheels - platen - slack belt and a variety of small wheels.
  • Tool rest should be adjustable. Much of this is convenience, but adjusting minimum clearance between rest and platen (or wheel) is a safety factor.
  • If you aren't building it yourself, choose a company that's been in business a long time and is likely to still be around 15 years from now when you want a new tracking wheel.
Hope that helps stimulate some thought.

Rob!

Last edited:
A grinder is one of the most expensive buys you might make, I would start visiting other makers shops and use there grinders to see what would suit you the best. Join the Texas Knife Makers Assc. and get to know some of them and I'm sure they would have no problem with inviting you to there shop and you will learn a few things that would take you years.

Tony

I'm happy with my Coote grinder but I forge so my needs are different from someone who does everything on the grinder. It can be fitted with small wheel attachments and, like most of the top end grinders, you will need to supply your own motor.

Doug

Rob has given you a very valuable amount of info. Take all of what he said and then go get your grinder. I would not buy 1/2 of what you want get it all or wait til you have the money. I bought a great grinder and runs full speed with no vibration the tracking is better than perfect . I didnt buy the bigger motor until a year later and the vfd . I think wayne has a solid grinder and the price is very reasonable if that is with the 2hp motor and a matching vfd. I paid 1200 for my kmg clone with out a motor so say 1400 so for another 3 hundred its a no brainer to get the vfd and 2hp motor. Kellyw

It's hard to have too much power, but I guess it could be done. Some say they are happy with 1/2hp but I would put 1hp as a minimum.

Doug

If going for a 3 wheel configuration, I'd say that 1.5hp is the minumum, especially if it's not a direct drive system (where motor is attached directly to the drive wheel).

Last edited:
The best grinder out there is the one that works for YOU. As everybody has pointed out, there are tons of variables ranging from what you grind, how you grind, to what you pocketbook dictates.

Over my career I have ground of every commercial grinder that is available. I personally dislike the "two wheel" designs such as the Burr-King and Hardcore. Just too limiting, and changing attachments is time consuming, and often times requires a toolbox full of tools. (again MY opinion)

I personally like the "three wheel" designs such as the square wheel, bader, and KMG. I find them more versatile, and easier to work with/around.

Right now, I don't think there is a better grinder on the market, FOR THE MONEY, than the KMG. A big part is the customer service that Rob Frink provides. There is no other company/machine out there who will take care of you like Rob does. Believe me, that is a BIG thing when something goes south, or you need help/advice.

OK, all that being said, we turn to the "build it yourself" variety of grinders. I have always been one to tell folks to purchase a top end grinder, and not waste you money trying to build your own. The reason? When you pay those "big bucks" for a commercial grinder, you are paying for precision...that means everything is square, all the wheels align, and everything works is harmony when the machine is running. Recently I have built several of the "GIB" grinders for others, and even put one in my own shop. The key with these type of "do it yourself" grinders has been taking the time and effort to ensure you build it "right". I've done a number of modifications on the GIBs that I've built, and am still learning more with each build. I would say that these types of machine can be created/built to be as good as most of the commercial machines......BUT....THE BUILD MUST BE DONE IN A CAREFUL, PRECISE MANNER, AND MODIFICATION MUST BE MADE. If you don't have the time, patience, or ability it's best just to purchase a commercial machine.

When it comes to grinders, a person's tastes will become sophisticated quickly. I also have the opinion that a person who is serious about knifemaking should purchase/build a top notch machine to begin with. You'll never have to buy/build another (unless you just "want" another) and your skills will grow to match the capabilities of the machine.

Hello,
Very good advise here so far.
I would like to add that No one has been sorry that they got the Larger Motor and of course Variable speed!

I first Purchased a Coote Grinder and Made it a step pulley Variable, Made knives with it and sold em for about 5 years and still use it today!
Then I purchased the Hardcore grinder and was never sorry about that! With a 1 1/2hp Variable control knob.
My third grinder purchase was the KMG Grinder and I used a knob control 1 1/4 GE motor that I had from a disc grinder.
I finally burned this motor out! I don't blade it on the KMG I just think you need at least a 1 1/2 Hp motor for a knob variable.
It's in the shop now, "The Motor" Which brings me to another point.

ONLY CRY ONCE! Even if it means living on top ramen Noodles or cutting out the cable/Direct TV for a while. Get the Best Grinder and Motor you can't afford! There is nothing worse than later saying to yourself 'I should have bitten the bullet and bought the more expensive Grinder, More powerful Motor!"
I've Done that on other machinery and I hope I've learned my Lesson.

There are lots of motors around now from vendors that are trying to fill the need for knife makers. When I started it was more difficult to find a suitable motor for a add on to a knife grinder.
So the Coote and others that are B.Y.O.Motor are a even better value today.

Call Norman Coote, He is a fine a man that listens to his customers. Cootebeltgrinder.com

I send my Coote grinder back to him about every Five years for a bearing and rubber Check/Overhaul.

He tunes & checks it back up for a very reasonable amount. I've gotten 15 years out of it and will get another 15 plus out of it! If you call him? Tell him I said Hello. He has also made a few attachments for the grinder that I thought up over the years!

Tell us how it goes on your first Purchase?
Laurence
rhinoknives.com

Back