What is the best blade Type: Ceramic Blades or Steel Blade ?

harshitgpt89

There is always a question about the type knife blade which is best for self defence and can be taken along with you to outdoors.
One option can be the ceramic blade knives which are light weight and durable but they are costly and fragile as well.
The other option can be the stainless steel blades which are very effective in cutting and are less fragile. But they are gets dull easily and need sharpening after a time period.
I want some suggestions about the best balde type: Ceramic blade or Stainless Steel blades ?

Stainless steel is not just one type of steel. There are some very good stainless steels that do not get dull quickly, and in many cases will outperform any knife you find in a department store or outdoors store. The stainless steel knives most commonly found in department stores, etc, are not high end stainless steel even though they come from famous brands. Typical production knives are made with cost in mind, and besides that are kept on the softer side during heat treating so that the average Joe can sharpen it easily. That's why you can't seem to find one that will hold up. Just about member on these forums (who is so inclined) can make you a stainless knife that will beat the snot out of any knife you find in a store, and you won't have to sharpen it every time you use it. (which is probably why you are thinking ceramic, no?)

Ceramic is a non-starter for an outdoor knife in my opinion, unless you are an ultralight backpacker and you only need a knife for occasional slicing (food, string, twine). Even then, if I was going into the bush for a long time carrying only one knife, the knife is your lifeline and it's the last place I'd skimp on durability for the sake of weight. No, you don't need a four-pound bowie knife. But a single fixed blade of exceptional quality doesn't have to be heavy. Find a design without metal bolsters if weight is your concern.

If sharpening is your issue, then you should know that sharpening ceramic is no picnic if you aren't already skilled at sharpening.

I'd say you better carry a knife made of steel with the ceramic one so when the ceramic one snaps in half you'll still have a knife that works. I don't know much about ceramic knives other than they break easier than any steel knife but I have read that they don't hold an edge forever and it's some kind of specialty to re-sharpen one.
personally, I wouldn't own one, if it does snap...who knows, the point of that blade could go right in your eye....Ouch.

Ceramic knives are really a gimmick for the most part. I sharpen them for people. You need to use Ceramic belts or cardboard wheels loaded with diamond. For a kitchen knife maybe ceramic. For the field, get a Quality stainless steel made by Buck knives or another brand made in the USA, Japan or Germany. Pass on the china stuff.

I do agree that for any outdoors the stainless steel seems to be the best. But there a contradiction to this on the part that the stainless steel get dull more frequently as compared to the ceramic knives.

I'd say you better carry a knife made of steel with the ceramic one so when the ceramic one snaps in half you'll still have a knife that works. I don't know much about ceramic knives other than they break easier than any steel knife but I have read that they don't hold an edge forever and it's some kind of specialty to re-sharpen one.
personally, I wouldn't own one, if it does snap...who knows, the point of that blade could go right in your eye....Ouch.

Ceramic knives requires maintenance as compared to the stainless steel blades but they are fragile as well making them not fit for outdoors.

I have to agree that ceramic blades are "gimicky", and in my opinion, outside of kitchen use, are pretty pointless. The way I came about that thinking follows: Several years ago, on a cold January day, I had a person show up at my shop. I met him at the door, he introduced himself and pulled out a single bladed, ceramic folder and asked if I would sharpen it..... at about the same time he fumbled, and dropped it. The knife hit the floor, and the blade broke into several pieces. Obviously I didn't sharpen that blade, but it left a very negative impression with me concerning ceramic for knife blades.

When it comes to comparing ceramic with steel, its like comparing apples and oranges..... about the only thing the blades have in common is an edge..... and even that shared attribute is radically different.

Your question is pretty vague honestly. And usually "Best" threads aren't at all accurate because a knife that's 'Best' at one thing will be 'Worst' at other things. And personal opinion then comes in and rules the roost. You have to try to find something that best balances all the things you want to use it for.

I don't know exactly what you have in mind as far as 'self defense' but that immediately leads me to be a little leery of the intent. Saying you carry a knife for self defense is just asking for legal problems and 99% of people, including me, really have no idea what they're doing when it comes to using a knife in a defensive situation and would only make said situation much worse. It typically is a topic brought up by internet commandos and mall ninjas. I'm not saying your either of those and maybe you have the training to be realistic about it, though it still poses legal issues. Just something to think about.

Lastly, ceramic or stainless don't have to be the only choices. They're are lots of really high quality carbon blades out there too.

I will add that I'm with some of the others in the fact that ceramic blades are pretty much worthless.

My .02 opine is decide if your wanting a knife or a weapon. Knife then narrow down the weight and length that you are comfortable with carrying. I had a heavy pointy hunk of steel that we were issued as a last resort defense weapon in the army called a bayonet., it would cut paper plastic and cord barely but it would go right through plywood. Majority of us carried a 8" to 10" oal knife for personal use. Survival self defense in the woods of the shelf knife get a kabar or spend a little extra and get one from any of the metal wizards who can create the tool to suit your want.

i would choose several steels knives if going outdoors. you can get a 2" folding straight razor for next to no $$ that will take up minimum room. next add a good multitool like an old Gerber, again small/light weight, will most of the tools needed for outdoors sitation. last i would find a surplus military pilot's survival knife, the one i had was 9"oal in nice sheath with pouch for a small stone. unless you see yourself stranded for months these should be more than enough.
IMHO, self-defense relies more on what is between your ears than brand name of knife on your hip

Your question is pretty vague honestly. And usually "Best" threads aren't at all accurate because a knife that's 'Best' at one thing will be 'Worst' at other things. And personal opinion then comes in and rules the roost. You have to try to find something that best balances all the things you want to use it for.

I don't know exactly what you have in mind as far as 'self defense' but that immediately leads me to be a little leery of the intent. Saying you carry a knife for self defense is just asking for legal problems and 99% of people, including me, really have no idea what they're doing when it comes to using a knife in a defensive situation and would only make said situation much worse. It typically is a topic brought up by internet commandos and mall ninjas. I'm not saying your either of those and maybe you have the training to be realistic about it, though it still poses legal issues. Just something to think about.

Lastly, ceramic or stainless don't have to be the only choices. They're are lots of really high quality carbon blades out there too.

I will add that I'm with some of the others in the fact that ceramic blades are pretty much worthless.

Absolutely right every knife is having some advantages and some disadvantages. You can decide first for what exactly you are going to use that knife then choose accordingly and about my personal opinion I will go with stainless steel.

I am looking for knives which can be used at home and outdoors as well.
That's why I am comparing about the blade tyre I should have.

Stainless steel is not just one type of steel. There are some very good stainless steels that do not get dull quickly, and in many cases will outperform any knife you find in a department store or outdoors store. The stainless steel knives most commonly found in department stores, etc, are not high end stainless steel even though they come from famous brands. Typical production knives are made with cost in mind, and besides that are kept on the softer side during heat treating so that the average Joe can sharpen it easily. That's why you can't seem to find one that will hold up. Just about member on these forums (who is so inclined) can make you a stainless knife that will beat the snot out of any knife you find in a store, and you won't have to sharpen it every time you use it. (which is probably why you are thinking ceramic, no?)

Ceramic is a non-starter for an outdoor knife in my opinion, unless you are an ultralight backpacker and you only need a knife for occasional slicing (food, string, twine). Even then, if I was going into the bush for a long time carrying only one knife, the knife is your lifeline and it's the last place I'd skimp on durability for the sake of weight. No, you don't need a four-pound bowie knife. But a single fixed blade of exceptional quality doesn't have to be heavy. Find a design without metal bolsters if weight is your concern.

If sharpening is your issue, then you should know that sharpening ceramic is no picnic if you aren't already skilled at sharpening.

Thanks for the suggestions.
As the ceramics are fragile, I am thinking of getting the stainless steel blade though I have to manage with sharpening of these knives on a regular interval.

Completely agree with you that there can't be a perfect knife for everyone. The knife which might be perfect for one might not be perfect for the others. It totally depends on applications of them.
Actually, I am planning to have a knife which can be used at my home and for outdoors and well. By at home, I mean as a tool for multiple applications.

Completely agree with you that there can't be a perfect knife for everyone. The knife which might be perfect for one might not be perfect for the others. It totally depends on applications of them.
Actually, I am planning to have a knife which can be used at my home and for outdoors and well. By at home, I mean as a tool for multiple applications.
Still a bit more specifics will get better results. Such as a knife that will work for cutting roasting sticks but also avle to split the wood to start the fire and weighs less than .75 lbs. Or something along tjose lines of specifics.

Last edited:
The issues with ceramic blades are many. However, if you are cutting soft material, such as meats and most vegetables, then it's a workable choice. They do hold an edge MUCH longer than steel blades, as long as you don't break them. They are fragile enough that you can break the edge by whittling a stick and then getting a little twist in the cut. The toughness has improved over the years, but they are still fragile compared to a steel blade. They can be dropped now without a guarantee of catastrophic failure. However, they really should be limited to controlled conditions, like indoors in a kitchen cutting certain foods. In that light, they will probably cut for a lifetime. They are the extreme example of a knife that will fail by chipping/fracture instead of slow dulling. They have literally no ability to roll an edge, they just break.

For that I think the stainless steel blades would be the best as I don't think that the ceramics are applicable for these survival applications.

Back