What is it called and where can I buy one?

lynamb

I would like to know what the tool is called that they use to make slippies! The one used to find zero at open, half, and closed. Also if anyone knows where I can find one for sell.

I'm actually in the process of making one because I don't know of any that are manufactured. Every one I have ever seen was home brew.

Just do a google search for raise and fall indicator, you can buy one just about anywhere.
you will have to build the fixture to hold everything!

Last edited:
It's called a rise and fall indicator.

rf3.jpg

I believe you're referring to a "rise and fall indicator". I've seen a handful of knife makers that sell them occasionally, but most knife makers make their own. If you do a google search, you should be able to find several references to home built rise and fall indicators, and probably even some plans.

I am in the process of Designing one of these which will be available through Tracy. It should be a couple of weeks so if you don't find one by then check with Tracy.

Thanks, Travis

I just use a dial indicator on a magnetic stand to figure out how close I am. I like this method over one of the jigs as I get to use the liners of the slipjoint I am making as the base so I know it will fit up the same. It also means you can do exactly the same thing after HT when you are dialing in the final fit and finish on the knife.

As always a picture is worth a thousand words.

folder120.jpg

Alistair

Back