What height is the gas forge set at?

ome

I am a novice, and have never done any blade or blacksmithing.
I have watched many videos of masters and their tools.
Some like their forge almost at head height.
Being a novice, I am a bit concerned about having the gas forge at face height.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Jon

Both of mine are below line of site but you can make it at face height. Your skin will tell you that you are getting too close to the dragon's breath. If you do put it at face level get some IR resistant safety classes. You can probably fine them at a ceramic supply house. I found mine on Ebay for less than $20.

Doug

I have one at head height and the larger one the opening is at chest height. It depends on your work style. Doug is right about the eye protection. I also wear Kevlar gloves and a full leather apron while forging.

You have to look at the heat color to see when to hammer so many (most) guys will have their forges up so they can see into it without stooping over all the time.

IR glasses?

Both of mine are below line of site but you can make it at face height. Your skin will tell you that you are getting too close to the dragon's breath. If you do put it at face level get some IR resistant safety classes. You can probably fine them at a ceramic supply house. I found mine on Ebay for less than $20.

Doug
Doug
i have a pair of neiko green shade#3 and a pair of Uvex shade#6
Do either of these offer the protection I need.
I still have head hair, yes , do you wear anything to keep your hair from burning if forge opening is at eye level?
I don't like bending at all
Thanks,
jon

I have to bend over slightly, my thoughts was I really am not sure I want it dead at eye height if something goes wrong but, with a bad back I prefer not to bend too much to see the material inside as well as how the flame is acting!

Those green glasses sound like what I have. To keep your hair from burning you could cover your head with a bandanna or a hat. If you do have a low mounted forge keep your anvil far enough away from the forge so that you don't stick your a$$ into the dragon's breath when you bend over your anvil to work blade. It took me surprisingly long to figure that one out.

Doug

One other point on forge safety. No synthetic or synthetic blend clothing around a forge. If they get too hot they will melt and stick to the skin and then they catch fire. All natural fibers on leather only.

Last edited:
I have to bend over slightly, my thoughts was I really am not sure I want it dead at eye height if something goes wrong but, with a bad back I prefer not to bend too much to see the material inside as well as how the flame is acting!
I also have a bad back, but what you said about "dead at eye height" really makes me think. Eyes are a number one priority. So, what level is safer, and still does not make you have to bend too much, is bending a little better than bending to a chest height?
Thank You

Those green glasses sound like what I have. To keep your hair from burning you could cover your head with a bandanna or a hat. If you do have a low mounted forge keep your anvil far enough away from the forge so that you don't stick your a$$ into the dragon's breath when you bend over your anvil to work blade. It took me surprisingly long to figure that one out.

Doug
Thanks Doug for all those points on forge safety.
I plan on working outside for now, but if I get a 10' by 14' wood shed, with a lean to style roof 11' to 9' high, and with front doors 10' high by 36' wide, and a rear window and one window on each side for front and side cross ventilation. with all open, and the forge towards the front entrance by the taller area, would I need to cover the beams in the ceiling, or the walls with corrugated steel or some fire resistant panels?
Thanks,
Jon

Back