What Happen?

Steve Randall

Finished this sheath, wet molded and everything was fine. I dyed it and ended up with some type of watermark along the welt, with a slight ridge to it - what happen?
I tried re-staining, still there, suggestions - anyway to fix it now?
Thanks for any info.
Steve

Maybe so - it seem quite dry after wet molding before I dyed. I used the oven on very low to dry - it's the first time I've ever tried that, maybe it was that?

It does look like a water line it is very slightly raised. I didn't see it before I dyed it. I was thinking it might have to do with the welt drying at a different rate or something. I have never had this problem before. Is there anything that can be done? any suggestions ?
Thanks

That is going to be hard to get rid of. You can moisten the leather and try to using a bone folder to minimize the mark but the you also get a burnished look there. You might need to distress the whole piece to have it blend in.

I used the oven on very low to dry - it's the first time I've ever tried that, maybe it was that?

Bingo! You win. Clay hardened heat treat. You got a hamon....not many can do that! :biggrin:

Leather does not like ovens, period.

Last edited:
This is something that gave me such a headache a few years ago.

#1 I used to only wet the area I wanted to mold, then I got a water line showing up when I dyed the leather. Its, as some have surmised, a hard water mark.

#2 I got a similar mark where the glue line was, I used to glue a small area as I want the top layer to stay still while I am molding the leather around the handle. The different dry time let the minerals come up at a faster rate where the leather is not glued. Sealing the back of the leather holds the water in longer.

If you have very hard water in your area you might choose distilled water to do your soaking in. This works as well for casing. Hard water will cause spots, and splotches to show up in the leather when you apply the dye. We get our water from the aquifer which filters through so much sand stone and limestone that it is extremely hard, but if your wanting a nifty cloudy effect in the leather finish..... this is your stuff. :)

I hope this helps a little, wet form your leather without the glue and I think you will have better results. And no bake, as my friend Paul said, leather does not like ovens. You get all kinds of bad results. Air dry, or in front of a little forced air heater on low (read LOW) is a good thing.

Thanks guys. All great suggestions, it could be my well water - so I will start using distilled although, I'm pretty sure it is the use of the oven - first time i've done it and first time i've had these problems. Back to good old air dry! Here is the south it can take days....
Steve

A leather Hammon.... Awesome. Try to do that on purpose next time and then charge more...

Yup, when the climate gets damp it can be excruciating waiting for that leather to dry. Thats where that little forced air heater comes in handy, I've been using mine for many years to give my leather a little more help in getting dry. It still takes hours, but its both safer and slow enough not to damage the leather.

I cant get much further south than I am without being in the desert again, just a little north and I get into the tropics of the Houston area so yea I fully understand things not wanting to get dry. Winter around here is our wet season and it can be a lesson is patience, but that little heater has been a life saver. Mine is a Patton brand and is over ten years old and going strong as I only use the lowest heat setting in the winter, and just air in the summer. Sometimes just getting an air flow over your work helps a lot in getting things dried. More often than not we are dead still and muggy, not a good climate for drying leather.

Sometimes leather can look dry, and feel dry, but if it is cool to the touch then its not dry. The core can still be damp even though all evidence of dampness has gone from the surface. Leather is incredibly dense inside, the fibers are very compressed, so it takes a bit for all that moisture to leave the leather.

Our worst efforts are our rewards for rushing through a project. Drying time is one of the things we should concentrate on and avoid using any type of artificial heat to accomplish that purpose. A very good subsitute would be an ordinary fan at room temperature. It is not as rapid but damages nothing! Some of the bad things that happen to leather have been mentioned by others on this posting. Some of them are difficult to explain and more difficult to try to duplicate. Gremlins?

Yes I will be the first to admit that patent is not my best point. I will definitely not use the oven again .I have heard of people using dehydrators so the oven on low sounded like a good idea NOT. The leather Hamon is a great idea its all on how you look at it LOL. Thanks for all the info ...steve

Dehydrators come in two flavors, one is simple forced air, which is fine, the other uses heat induction, that one will cook a sheath in very little time.

Aint leather working a constant search for knowledge! As long as you never stop learning you will never stop improving!

Back